I have been sharing a LOT of desserts lately. It is Christmas time after all but I figured I should probably throw something in there that’s actually good for you to balance out all the sweets I’ve been sharing. This Slow Cooker Quinoa Enchilada Casserole is incredible easy to prepare and it tastes amazingly delicious! If you’ve ever made these Quinoa Tacos I shared last year then this slow cooker meal will taste very similar to you. You get all the Tex Mex flavors paired with nutritious quinoa and protein packed black and pinto beans. This is a perfectly hearty and filling meal and it’s so flavorful you wouldn’t believe it was vegetarian! You won’t miss the meat in the slightest.
This is a healthy meal your whole family can agree on and you will love the ease of prep. Do you still have holiday errands to run (I know I have my share)? Or do you have lots of little things you need to catch up on around the house that seem never ending? Well this slow cooker meal will definitely help you out!
Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa Bake
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar or monterey jack , or Mexican blend cheese
- Diced avocados , diced Roma tomatoes, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, chopped green onions (optional)
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour mixture into a slow cooker.
- Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin and season wtih salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on HIGH heat about 2 hours 45 minutes - 3 hours 15 minutes (cook time can vary because all slow cookers cook a little differently so just keep an eye on it near the end to make sure it's neither getting soggy or drying out near the edges).
- Add corn, black beans and pinto beans and toss mixture. Even top then sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until heated through and cheese has melted about 10 - 15 minutes longer. Serve warm with desired toppings.