I never had really tried anything with rhubarb until the last few years. Once I did try it though I instantly fell in love! I love the vibrant and unique flavor it has with just the right amount of tart to it, and my favorite way to eat it is baked into something along with fresh strawberries. There are so many things I want to try with that combination like a strawberry rhubarb compote for angel food cake, a strawberry rhubarb crumb cake or combining the two together for a syrup to serve over buttermilk pancakes. Someday I’ll get there but for now it’s all about this truly delicious strawberry rhubarb crisp.
This Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is perfectly juicy with just the right amount of sweetness, and the contrast in textures is spot on. I love the softness and juiciness of the filling paired next to the perfect crispness of the topping, and also that lemon-like tartness of the filling next to the sweet flavor of vanilla bean in the filling. This is a must try summer recipe! Just don’t forget the ice cream because it’s the perfect finishing touch for this.
- 1 cup (140g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (80g) old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (166g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp (5 oz) unsalted butter, cold and diced into small pieces
- Seeds of one small vanilla bean I sell them!
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced into three pieces (or two if small. About 4 1/2 cups after slicing)
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup (170g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) orange juice
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 3 quart baking dish (I used a 12 by 8 by 2 1/2, a 13 by 9 should work fine too), set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar and salt, while breaking up any clumps of brown sugar with finger tips as needed. Add butter and vanilla bean seeds and rub into mixture with finger tips until it comes together in crumbles and no clumps of butter remain. Transfer to refrigerator while preparing filling.
- In a mixing bowl toss together strawberries, rhubarb and sugar. Pour into prepared baking dish. In liquid measuring cup whisk together orange juice, orange zest and cornstarch until well blended. Slowly and evenly pour over strawberry rhubarb mixture in pan then lightly toss mixture. Sprinkle crumble evenly over top. Bake in preheated oven 40 - 45 minutes until juices are bubbling and crisp is golden brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Recipe source: Inspired by Ina Garten's Crisp