At least once a week we are having soup around here, if you haven’t noticed. Soup is just “in” right now, soup recipes are by far my most popular lately. So, at least I’m not the only one who seriously loves a good soup recipe, and this Stuffed Pepper Soup recipe is no exception.
I just got into the whole stuffed pepper thing and I have actually been meaning to make this stuffed pepper inspired soup for that last month. There are just far too many different kinds of soups to choose from and there are still countless more I want to make. This one is incredibly hearty and it’s just such a comforting, homestyle soup. It totally reminded me of growing up and being home.
I love all the flavors in this soup and how well they all meld together. The peppers offer a mellow and faintly sweet flavor, while the tomatoes and beef kick in that flavor that will remind you of a traditional stuffed pepper. And the rice in this soup gives it such a great texture and adds some body to it. This a fairly thick soup and it has a consistency similar to a stew, which I love because it will fill my family up and I don’t have to make a bunch of sides to serve with it. I just served it with fresh bread to keep that homestyle comfort and simplicity going.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp olive oil , divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion chopped (1 cup)
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (a little over 1/2 of a medium)
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5) can beef broth
- 2 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley , plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white or brown rice (I've tried and like both)
- Cheddar or mozzarella cheese , for serving (optional)
- In a large pot heat 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat, once hot add beef to pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally while breaking up beef, until browned. Drain beef and pour onto a plate lined with paper towels, set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in pot then add onions, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and saute 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth and add parsley, basil, oregano and cooked beef, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring just to a light boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- While soup simmers, prepare rice according to directions listed on package, then once soup is done simmering stir in desired amount of cooked rice into soup*. Serve warm topped with optional cheese and garnish with fresh parsley.
- *For a thinner soup don't add all of the rice and for a thicker heartier soup add it all. Also, if you plan on having it for leftovers the next day then don't add the rice to the pot of soup, just add it to each individual bowl, then reserve the rice in a separate container in refrigerator to add to the soup the next day (otherwise it would turn into mush).
- Recipe Source: inspired by this recipe on allrecipes