I don’t know why I always make such big salads. I guess with the ones that have chicken I’m always just making enough so we can eat it as a main dish for dinner, then with salads like this I just think of them as the perfect salad to take to a get together. I mean when they are this good, why not make a big salad with enough to share?
This is a very summery salad with such vibrant flavors. I love the way the lemon fairs with the fresh herbs and how it just brightens the flavors of the fresh veggies (and fruits if you want to get technical with tomatoes and avocados). Greek flavors are one of my favorite and I love what they bring to this salad (but I probably say that about everything. I also can’t get enough of the Italian, Mexican, Indian, American and Chinese flavors).
This dressing is so easy to whip together (or blend shall I say), and you’ll want to use it for all your favorite salads! It’s a simple recipe but it packs a punch. It would be great on a grilled chicken and spinach salad too. We all know how I’m obsessed with those. They are a go to lunch and dinner around here.
If you don’t want a big salad you can definitely scale this recipe down and use 1 container of cherry tomatoes, 1/2 a cucumber, 1 small avocado, 1/3 of the can of chick peas, 1 1/2 Tbsp parsley and 1 oz of feta. I’d recommend making the full dressing recipe though and just saving it in the refrigerator for another use. Just whisk it again before using it.
- 2 (10.5 oz) containers red cherry tomatoes
- 1 (10.5 oz) container yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced into quarters
- 2 Hass avocados, peeled, cored and diced (ripe but semi-firm)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- In a salad bowl toss together tomatoes, chick peas and cucumbers. Add avocado and parsley and gently toss. Add desire amount of dressing and the feta and gently toss to evenly coat. Serve within an hour for best results.
- For the dressing:
- In a blender (or mixing bowl with a whisk), blend olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and salt until mixture is well emulsified. Stir in basil and oregano.
- Recipe source: inspired by Green Valley Kitchen