Only a few days left until Christmas so here’s the perfect last minute treat for a party or gift! These White Chocolate and Chocolate Dipped Mandarin Oranges are of course so easy to make and you’ll only need to get two ingredients to make them (or three if you want sprinkles or sea salt). I’ve already made these three times in the last three weeks, my family absolutely loves these and I love that they are quick treat! Believe it or not my mom who is crazy about dark chocolate actually liked the white chocolate ones better so be sure that you try both versions at one point or another.
One important thing to note is that these should be served right away, as I listed in the recipe. The reason being is because the oranges may start to dry out – or maybe that’s just me because I’m in a dry climate. But I think that’s pretty common for citrus in general in any climate. You can lightly brush the un-dipped portion with a little water but it’s a tedious task so I recommend that you just dip in chocolate about 10 minutes before you plan on serving them.
One thing I love about these is that the chocolate ones taste like those chocolate oranges you buy during the holidays – but so much better. And the white ones taste like a an orange creamsicle – but again, even better. I mean once you start popping these things it’s hard to stop. But they are like 66% fruit so that makes them about 66% healthy right :)? Really though these are a better choice than the towers of cookies everywhere. But don’t turn down the cookies this time of year, it happens once a year so enjoy the towers of cookies everywhere! Try these soon, while the best mandarins are in season!
- 4 oz dark chocolate or milk chocolate, chopped
- 4 oz white chocolate, chopped
- 6 - 7 large mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented (about 1 1/2 lbs)*
- Coarse or flaked sea salt (optional)
- Multi-color sprinkles (optional)
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring well between intervals until melted and smooth. Dip half of the mandarin orange slices in white chocolate, dipping halfway, then lift and and let excess run off. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sprinkles if desired before white chocolate starts to set.
- Place dark chocolate in a separate microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring well between intervals until melted and smooth. Dip remaining half of the mandarin oranges in chocolate, dipping halfway, then lift and let excess run off. Transfer to lined baking sheet, sprinkle lightly with sea salt if desired. Transfer baking sheets to refrigerator and chill just until chocolate has set, about 5 - 10 minutes. Serve immediately for best results.
- *I recommend using larger mandarins if you can find them, sometimes the Cuties are bigger than other brands. If using the itty bitty ones you'll probably need twice as many.