Almond Poppy Seed Chicken Salad Sandwiches are a classic American dish everyone loves. This recipe includes lean chicken breasts, fresh celery and grapes, and a creamy Greek yogurt based poppy seed dressing. In other words say hello to your new favorite lunch!
Almond Poppy Seed Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Summer is practically here so that means you’ll need to be ready with plenty of chicken salad recipes, right?
I love chicken salad for lunch on a hot summer day because it’s served cold, I also love it because it’s perfect for picnics and get togethers plus it’s something my whole family loves. Another thing about it is that always leaves me craving more with all the different flavors and textures.
Here you get the nutty, crunchy goodness from the almonds, the creaminess of the dressing (which has a wonderful blend of sweet, salty and tangy), a juicy sweet bite from the grapes, and of course the delicious hearty goodness of tender chicken breasts.
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Recipe
- Cooked chicken breasts
- Green onions
- Plain greek yogurt
- Red wine vinegar
- Poppy Seeds
- Dijon mustard
How to Make Almond Poppy Seed Chicken Salad
- Mix all dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add all chicken salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl or a salad bowl.
- Add dressing and toss to evenly coat.
How do You Cook the Chicken?
Any left over lightly seasoned cooked breast will work here or rotisserie chicken. If you don’t have leftover here’s the method I use:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Pound chicken to an even thickness and brushed both sides lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated 425 degree oven until center registered 165, this will take anywhere from 15 – 25 minutes depending on thickness of chicken breasts.
- Let chill through in the fridge then dice.
What Should I Serve the Chicken Salad on?
- Whole grain bread
- Butter lettuce
How Can I Make it In Advance?
You can prep the salad ingredients a day in advance (have them chopped and in a bowl), then just wait until the following day when ready to serve to toss it with the dressing.
So if you are making it for a workday lunch just keep the dressing separate from the salad and toss together when you’re ready to eat it and layer in a bread or lettuce.
More Chicken Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Salad with Apples Pecans and Rosemary
- BLTA Chicken Salad
- Curry Chicken Salad
- Greek Chicken Salad
Almond Poppy Seed Chicken Salad
Chicken Salad is a classic American dish everyone loves. This recipe includes lean chicken breasts, fresh crisp celery, sweet grapes, crunchy almonds, and a creamy Greek yogurt and mayo based poppy seed dressing. In other words say hello to your new favorite lunch!
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked, chilled and diced into small cubes*
- 1 1/3 cups red grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup small diced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions (green portion only)
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt*
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
For the dressing: Mix all dressing ingredients together in a medium bowl until well combined.
For the salad: Add all chicken salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl or a salad bowl. Add dressing and toss to evenly coat.
Store in refrigerator. Serve within 1 - 2 hours for best results (it's still good for another day but the almonds soften a little and the grapes juices run into the dressing).
- *I recommend using a brand such as Fage for a thicker consistency.
- Serve in croissants, whole grain bread slices, bagels, tortillas or wraps, butter lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves.
- Use leftover chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken or to cook the chicken: line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Pounded chicken to an even thickness, brushed both sides lightly with olive oil, season with S&P. Roast in a preheated 425 degree oven until center registered 165 (this will take anywhere from 15 - 25 minutes depending on thickness of chicken breasts). Then let chill through in the fridge.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy