I speak the utter truth when I say these are one of the best stack of pancakes I have ever eaten! They are undeniably incredible! If you like almond poppy seed muffins then you will love these pancakes.
I created this recipe because I myself adore almond poppy seed muffins, but sometimes I’d just rather have pancakes so I wanted to combine the two delicious breakfast foods into one amazing dish. I adapted the syrup recipe for these pancakes from my Vanilla Cream Syrup recipe, so it is a creamy, perfectly sweet, almond syrup that is a must with these pancakes.
If you are looking to switch up the ordinary buttermilk pancakes then you are definitely going to want to try these pancakes. Once you try them it’s likely you are going to want them every week.
I love adding twists on pancakes, you may also like to try my Cornbread Pancakes with Honey Butter Syrup. Everyone I’ve ever made them for loves them!
Follow Cooking Classy
Almond Poppy Seed Pancakes with Almond Syrup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 Tbsp poppyseeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp applesauce
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds , toasted (optional)
- Poppy seeds , for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees. In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate mixing bowl whisk together buttermilk, milk, sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, almond extract and vanilla extract for one minute. Pour buttermilk mixture into dry mixture and stir just until combine, batter should be slightly lumpy (just be careful not to over-mix so you'll have fluffy pancakes). Pour about 1/4 - 1/3 cup mixture at a time onto buttered preheated griddle and slightly spread outward (if you have a good non-stick griddle buttering isn't necessary). Flip pancake when golden on bottom (bubbles wont appear on the surface much with these pancakes so mostly you just need to check the bottom for color). Cook opposite side until golden. Serve warm drizzled with Almond Syrup and garnished with optional toasted, sliced almonds and a light sprinkling of optional poppy seeds.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in sugar, cream and buttermilk. Cook mixture, stirring frequently, until mixture begins to boil and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and almond extract, whisk for about 10 seconds until mixture becomes foamy and frothy. Serve warm. Note: Mixture can be stored in the refrigerator up to one week and reheated before serving.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy