These Chocolate Chip Muffins are studded with mini chocolate chips and are super moist thanks to the butter and sour cream in the batter. Make these for breakfast this weekend, you won’t regret it!
The Best Chocolate Chip Muffins!
The weekend has finally come, which means it’s time to make a delicious homemade breakfast (or dessert) — no dry cereal, frozen waffles or granola bars on the run. It’s time to sit back, enjoy some time off and bake up something sweet.
Saturday may be considered a “cheat day” for you, which is something I’d never really heard about until my younger brother and husband started doing it. For them, the cheat day is their in one day a week to eat sugar — yikes, say what?
I can’t do that, but for those of you who are or if you’re just on a diet and want to treat yourself, these chocolate chip muffins are the perfect treat to splurge on! Just be sure to enjoy at least one warm from the oven with a tall glass of cold milk!
These homemade muffins are soft and without dryness (lol, because so many people hate the word “moist,” really though it’s just a word let’s not be so dramatic about it) and you get that delicious chocolatey flavor from the mini chips in each and every bite.
And those muffin tops!!!! Could I add enough exclamation points there? I don’t think so, so let’s add a few more!!! Muffins need tall and wide muffin tops (well unless they are these blueberry muffins with a delicious crumble, they are like the only exception).
The muffin tops are definitely the portion to be pulled off and enjoyed first — or you could save the best for last, choice is yours. Now get baking a batch of your own, your taste buds will thank you.
Chocolate Chip Muffins Ingredients
For these bakery-style muffins, you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Sour cream
- Mini chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat oven and line 12-cup muffin tin with paper lines.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add rest of wet ingredients into the butter mixture and stir to combine. Then fold in the flour mixture and chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake. Once cooked, remove from muffin tin and place on wire rack to cool.
Can I Make These as Mini Muffins?
For sure! I haven’t tried that myself, but my best guess is that they’d need to bake for around 9 minutes or so.
Is There a Sour Cream Substitute I Can Use?
If you want to make these chocolate chip muffins a little lighter, you can probably use full-fat Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. I haven’t tried this myself, but I bet it’d be fine!
Tips for the Best Chocolate Chip Muffins
- You can freeze these muffins for later. Just let them cool completely before storing them in a freezer bag.
- I like to reserve a few chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the muffins before they go in the oven. It just makes the homemade muffins look prettier!
- If you don’t have mini chocolate chips, regular can be substituted.
More Homemade Muffin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Apple Snickerdoodle Muffins
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 3/4 cups (390g) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup (74g) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 Tbsp (60ml) vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (265g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (175ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (122g) sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups (220g) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment whip together butter, 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in remaining 3 Tbsp vegetable oil.
- Blend in eggs one at a time adding in vanilla with second egg. In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup measure out milk then add sour cream and whisk to blend.
- Remove mixing bowl from stand mixer and add 1/3 of the flour mixture and fold until nearly combined, then add 1/2 of the milk mixture and fold until nearly combined, repeat process once more with flour and milk mixture.
- Add in last 1/3 of the flour mixture and fold until nearly combined then add in chocolate chips (you can set aside about 2 tbsp to sprinkle over the tops before baking so more show through if desired) and fold until just combined.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups filling each slightly mounded full.
- Bake in preheated oven 8 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees and continue to bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 10 - 11 minutes longer (they should be nicely domed and edges of cupcakes will likely just be slightly touching).
- Transfer muffins to a wire rack and let cool (I highly recommend trying at least one while still warm!). Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- If you don't have mini chocolate chips, regular can be substituted.