All you banana cream pie lovers out there, this cupcake is for you! Being a light fluffy banana cupcake topped with simple vanilla pastry cream and a fresh banana slice, this delightful cupcake mimics all the flavors of a slice of silky banana cream pie. This cupcake is so easy to make!
Normally I don’t believe in using many packaged ingredients, such as a boxed pudding mix… but this is the exception. I have made this cupcake using a homemade pastry cream and using this version of pastry cream. The instant vanilla pudding version. Surprisingly I actually like this version better.
It is creamier, slightly sweeter and it just fits this cupcake better. Trust me, this is the exception to using a packaged mix. You won’t be disappointed with these cupcakes! They are on my list of top 5 favorite cupcakes.
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Banana Cream Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 recipe easy vanilla pastry cream , recipe follows
- 2 bananas , sliced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. In a small bowl mix mashed bananas with lemon juice, set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3 - 4 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla. Add mashed bananas and stir until combine. Mix in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Pour 1/4 cup mixture into greased muffin cups or paper muffin cups. Bake for 22-24 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and let muffins cool in muffin pan 5 minutes, then remove from muffin pan and let cool 30 minutes on a wire cooling rack. Pipe vanilla pastry cream on top of muffins and refrigerate until ready to serve. Place banana slices on top immediately before serving.
Easy Vanilla Pastry Cream
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients about 2 minutes until very thick. Refrigerate mixture about 30 minutes until fully set. Stir once more to remove clumps.