The banana and chocolate combination, yum-o! I came up with these cupcakes while imagining everything I love about the banana split, the sweet and simple vanilla ice cream smothered in thick chocolate sauce, polished off with sweetened whipped cream and crunchy nuts.
These are delicious topped with fresh banana slices, but to make them shout banana split even more, they could be topped with maraschino cherries (unfortunately I didn’t have any but they were amazingly delicious with fresh banana slices as well). So, take your pick of final garnish, cherry or banana.
Also, feel free to throw everything on there you love on a banana split, change up the nut choice, add sprinkles or toffee bits and just have fun with it! That’s the amazing thing about cooking, it’s an art, you can make it exactly as you wish!
Follow Cooking Classy
All the flavors of a banana split in soft and fluffy, delicious decadent cupcake form!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 recipe easy vanilla pastry cream , recipe follows
- 2 bananas , sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or toffee bits
- 16 maraschino cherries , or 1 banana sliced
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- 1 1/3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cook cupcakes according to directions (minus, vanilla pastry cream) and let cool 30 minutes. For ganache, place chocolate chips in a medium mixing bowl, set aside. In a small saucepan, heat cream over medium heat bringing just to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips, whisk until smooth. Allow ganache to cool slightly before pouring over cupcakes. Pour about 1/2 tablespoon full over over each cupcake. Allow to cool. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl with and electric mixer, whip whipping cream until soft peaks form. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form (keep whipped cream refrigerated until serving). Just before serving pipe sweetened whipped cream over cooled chocolate covered cupcakes and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Garnish each cupcake with a maraschino cherry or a fresh banana slice. Store cupcakes in the refrigerator, they will keep there shape about 3 hours before the cream starts to separate.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. In a small bowl mix mashed bananas with lemon juice, set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3 - 4 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla. Add mashed bananas and stir until combine. Mix in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Pour 1/4 cup mixture into greased muffin cups or paper muffin cups. Bake for 22-24 minutes until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and let muffins cool in muffin pan 5 minutes, then remove from muffin pan and let cool 30 minutes on a wire cooling rack. Pipe vanilla pastry cream on top of muffins and refrigerate until ready to serve. Place banana slices on top immediately before serving.