Banana Stuffed French Toast is an upgraded on the classic times ten! This is another one of those recipes that I’ve been making for probably the last ten years but somehow I’ve managed to forget posting it until now. It is seriously a-maz-ing!
My whole family always loves this decadent french toast. Quite often I make it for dinner, we love breakfast for dinner at my house.
The layers you get in this French toast create breakfast perfection.
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
- It starts with a thick slice of golden crusted french toast, then it’s pocketed and filled with brown sugar coated bananas.
- Then it gets a nice soaking in a buttermilk egg mixture which has just the right amount of cinnamon.
- After that it’s dredged in a layer of cornflakes on both sides.
- And last it’s transferred to a hot griddle covered with melted butter
- Then don’t for get to a finish it with warm maple or buttermilk syrup.
Trust me this will be disappear before your eyes. Stuff this good isn’t meant to last, nor will it. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Banana Stuffed French Toast
This has been a family favorite for many years! French bread slices are stuffed with sweet banana slices, dipped in custard, dredged in crispy crushed cornflakes then toasted on a buttered griddle until golden brown. So delicious!
- 1 loaf french bread (use a loaf that's one or two days old)
- 5 cups cornflakes
- 3/4 cup milk (preferrably whole or 2%)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 firm but ripe medium bananas , peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup salted butter , for griddle
- Maple or buttermilk syrup , for serving
Heat an electric griddle to 350 degrees. Slice french bread into 1 1/4-inch slices, then slice a deep pocket (nearly to opposite end and close to both edges) in the center of each slice, set aside.
Pour cornflakes into a mixing bowl and crush (about pebble size pieces), set aside. In a blender, combine milk, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, salt cinnamon and nutmeg.
Puree mixture on low speed until well blended, about 10 seconds. Pour mixture into a baking dish. Add bananas to a mixing bowl, sprinkle with brown sugar and toss to evenly coat. Stuff bananas into pockets in french bread slices.
Dip one side of stuffed french bread slice in milk and egg mixture (I like to allow it to rest for a bit then gently squeeze excess out), being careful not to immerse banana filled center, then flip to opposite side to absorb mixture.
Transfer to bowl of crushed cornflakes and coat one side evenly with cornflakes, then flip to opposite side and coat second side. Butter griddle and transfer prepared slice to griddle.
Cook until golden brown on bottom. about 2 - 3 minutes, then lift slice, butter griddle again and flip to opposite side and cook until golden brown.
Repeat process with remaining slices. Serve warm with maple or buttermilk syrup (if using buttermilk syrup I like to add whipped cream too).