Blueberry Buckle – it’s the blueberry coffee cake of my dreams! It’s a flavorful cake that’s studded with colorful blueberries and finished with a sweet cinnamon crumble.
Blueberry Buckle is the Best Coffee Cake!
The cake has a delicious buttery flavor, a soft and tender crumb and it’s brimming with fresh, sweet, juicy blueberries. Then it’s covered with a delicate yet perfectly crisp, cinnamony crumble that will make your heart sing.
This is a cake you don’t want to miss out on!
This cake is so good in fact I’d be totally fine with having this as my birthday cake – even though there’s no frosting!
Blueberry desserts are totally my thing and I love that this will pass for either breakfast or dessert :). And that generous amount of fresh blueberries in this cake takes it over the top. Blueberries in every bite!
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Cake
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter
- Baking powder
How to Make Blueberry Buckle
- Preheat oven and prepare a baking dish.
- Prep crumble and chill.
- Make batter and fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread even.
- Sprinkle with crumble
- Bake until set.
Tips for This Recipe
- Be gentle with the batter so it’s not a super dense cake (it’s not a super fluffy cake but over-working the batter will make it more dense than it’s intended to be). It is a thick batter to fold but I think folding the flour in by hand does make a difference.
- Then also you do want fine crumbs for the topping so it’s light, this helps keep them from sinking into the center of the cake as it bakes. Those tiny buttery crumbs are definitely a highlight of this cake!
Now go grab some fresh summer blueberries while they’re in season and while they’re on sale and make this heavenly Blueberry Buckle!
More Blueberry Recipes You’ll Love
- Lemon Blueberry Cake
- Blueberry Oatmeal Crumb Bars
- No Bake Cheesecake Bars with Fresh Blueberry Sauce
Blueberry Buckle, AKA Blueberry Coffee Cake
The cake has a delicious buttery flavor, a soft and tender crumb and it's brimming with fresh, sweet, juicy blueberries. Then it's covered with a delicate yet perfectly crisp, cinnamony crumble that will make your heart sing. This is a cake you don't want to miss out on!
- 6 Tbsp (56g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (66g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter, cold and diced into cubes
- 1 3/4 cups (247g) all-purpose flour (use scoop and sweep method to measure)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk (anything but skim)
- 2 cups (290g) fresh blueberries
For the topping:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Add flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt to a food processor and pulse several times.
Add in butter and pulse until mixture appears sandy with tiny bits of butter. Transfer to refrigerator and chill while preparing cake.
For the cake:
Butter a 9 by 9-inch baking dish. Line with parchment paper and butter parchment paper, set aside.
In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla.
Remove bowl from stand mixer (scrape excess butter on paddle into bowl).
Add 1/2 of the flour mixture (to sugar/egg mixture) and fold just nearly until combined then add in 1/2 of the milk and fold just until nearly combined, repeat process with flour and milk once more, then add in blueberries and fold just to evenly distribute.
Pour batter into prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Remove crumble from refrigerator and sprinkle evenly over top.
Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean (center also shouldn't fall when lightly pressed), about 30 - 35 minutes.
Let cool at least 5 minutes then lift from pan using parchment. Cut into squares and serve warm. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe source: inspired by King Arthur Flour