Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes have got to be one of the greatest foods known to mankind! They are definitely one of my favorite foods. Their taste is something unequivocal. They present feelings of comfort, relaxation and welcome. It doesn’t get much more homey than this.
This recipe is my favorite buttermilk pancake recipe of all time! I tried several before creating this one and now I don’t know that I could ever use a different one again. You may be weary of the oat flour in them, but trust me it makes these pancakes amazing! It gives them a bit more flavor then you’d find in your average buttermilk pancake containing only all-purpose flour. It also adds some amazing nutrition to them so you can feel great about eating them. Also, by adding the blueberries in these pancakes you get two Superfoods (oats and blueberries)! Maybe I should just call these the Incredible Superfood Pancakes because how could something that’s this healthy taste this good? In my family we eat these pancakes every week, usually a Sunday brunch and many times even for dinner. These pancakes are fancy and delicious enough to be worthy of a holiday brunch or for serving company. Or, just make them a delectable new weekly tradition in your home, like I’ve done.
Also, note that these pancakes are better with actual oat flour rather than grinding your own in a food processor, if you are able to locate some. The texture is slightly better then if you grind the oats yourself.
Also, these pancakes are delicious with raspberries, huckleberries, diced strawberries, sliced ripe bananas, cinnamon, and I’m soon going to be working on an apple version mmm. Enjoy, like you’ve never enjoyed a stack of pancakes before =)!
Follow Cooking Classy
Blueberry Buttermilk Oat Flour Pancakes and Buttermilk Syrup
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour*
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter , melted
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat a non-stick griddle over medium heat. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together oat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large mixing bowl combine buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted butter. Stir in dry ingredients (mixture should by slightly lumpy, don't over-mix). Pour 1/4 cup mixture onto buttered preheated griddle then drop about 10 -12 blueberries onto pancake. Flip pancake when bubbles start to appear on surface and bottom is golden. Cook opposite side until golden. Repeat process with remaining batter. Serve pancakes warm topped with vanilla cream syrup, your favorite maple syrup and butter, or berry syrup and whipped cream.
- *Oat flour can be purchased in the health food section of most super-markets.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar and buttermilk. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture begins to gently boil and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla, whisk for about 10 seconds (it will begin to foam). Serve warm. Syrup can be stored in refrigerator up to one week and reheated before serving.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy