Brownie Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting! It’s like eating a chocolate covered marshmallow. You get a rich chocolate brownie base and a melt-in-your-mouth light as air toasted marshmallow topping.
If there are two things I love it’s brownies and marshmallows. Okay okay there are a lot of foods I love and adore but two of them are definitely brownies and marshmallows.
I also love the combination of the two. The chocolate just compliments the marshmallows perfectly. Like a S’more or a chocolate covered marshmallow, they just wouldn’t be what they are without the chocolate.
This cupcake took three attempts to get the cupcake base just where I wanted it. I don’t like a brownie that’s so chocolaty rich I can only eat a bite or two. I also don’t like a brownie that has no body to it and it’s completely gooey. It’s needs some chew and bite to it.
Basically I’m more of a traditional, milk chocolate brownie kind of gal.
Just an fyi these cupcakes aren’t a fluffy dome like cupcake. They will likely sink just a bit in the middle once they are removed from the oven, that’s supposed to happen.
If they don’t then it’s a sign they are likely over-baked and dry. The marshmallow frosting is delicious toasted but it most definitely doesn’t have to be. Toasted or not this frosting reminds me of the soft center of a gooey marshmallow that was slowly roasted over the hot coals of a campfire.
It is fluffy, dreamy, bliss in frosting form and it is actually incredibly easy to prepare. The stand mixer does most of the work. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
It's like eating a chocolate covered marshmallow. You get a rich chocolate brownie base and a melt-in-your-mouth light as air toasted marshmallow topping.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup butter , melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, light-brown sugar and cocoa powder. Pour in melted butter and use a wood spoon to stir until combine. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract. Stir in milk. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combine (batter will be thick).
- Divide batter among 12 paper lined muffin cups filling each about 2/3 full (about 1/4 cup batter in each). Bake in preheated oven 16 - 20 minutes (lesser for gooier brownies). Allow to cool in muffin tin several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then pipe Marshmallow Frosting over cupcakes and toast edges of frosting with a kitchen torch if desired.
For the Marshmallow Frosting
- Add egg whites, granulated sugar and cream of tarter to a heat proof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a saucepan filled with a few inches of simmering water. Heat mixture, whisking constantly until egg whites are warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved, about 3 - 4 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer bowl to electric stand mixer fit with a whisk attachment. Beat mixture beginning on low speed and gradually increasing to high speed, until stiff glossy peaks form, about 5 - 7 minutes. Add vanilla during the last 10 seconds of mixing. For best results serve immediately.
- Recipe Source: Brownie Cupcakes - Cooking Classy, Marshmallow Frosting - Martha Stewart