Could their be a better Easter breakfast?? Probably not. These Carrot Cake Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze taste just like a piece of carrot cake! So in other words I’m totally smitten. Carrot cake for breakfast is pretty much all of my dreams come true, and I now have another favorite to add to my weekend breakfast rotation.
Carrot Cake Pancakes
These pancakes are soft and fluffy and perfectly moist, they are also perfectly spiced. The first time I made them I started with about half the spices and they weren’t near as good. It’s crazy what a bit of cinnamon can do.
You may find the method for these pancakes a little out of the norm, as in sauteing a veggie isn’t something you normally do for pancakes. But if you saute the carrots first it guarantees that you’ll end with soft fully cooked carrots in your pancakes.
And I just used the butter – I was going to add to the pancakes so it’s not like they needed extra butter because of the sauteing. But who am I kidding, we aren’t going for a healthy breakfast here – we are going for a celebratory holiday breakfast here!
Note that the batter will be pretty thick, once you mix in the dry ingredients it will thicken right up. With that said don’t just drop your batter onto the griddle or pan an expect it to thin out, you’ll have to spread the batter using on offset spatula or just the bottom of the measuring cup you used to drop the batter.
Other than that everything else is pretty straight forward. Now add them to your Easter brunch menu and just be sure to spoon or drizzle over plenty of that cream cheese glaze!
More Carrot Cake Recipes You’ll Love
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups (6.8 oz) finely shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) unsalted butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces, plus more for griddle
- 2 cups (10 oz) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (355ml) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) packed light-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Saute carrots: Melt butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Once butter is melted add carrots and saute just until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until cool (now is a good time to prepare glaze).
- Preheat griddle: Heat an electric griddle to 375 degrees (or you can use two non-stick skillets to cook the pancakes, wait to preheat over medium heat until you're almost ready to cook them).
- Whisk dry ingredients: In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 20 seconds.
- Whisk wet ingredients: In a separate mixing bowl whisk together buttermilk, milk, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in carrots then flour mixture: Add carrot mixture to buttermilk mixture and whisk to combine. Add flour mixture into buttermilk mixture and whisk just until combined (careful not to over-mix or pancakes won't be as fluffy).
- Cook on griddle: Butter griddle or skillets and drop about 1/3 cup batter at a time onto griddle (batter will be thick) then spread into an even round, about 5-inches wide. Cook until bottom is golden brown then flip and cook opposite side until golden brown.
- Repeat process until all of the batter has been used up. Serve warm topped with cream cheese glaze and pecans.
- For the cream cheese glaze: In a mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer cream together cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Mix in powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract.