These Cheesy Potatoes are total comfort food! You get bite size potato portions covered with melty cheddar and they’re finished with crisp bacon, creamy ranch and fresh green onions. Who could resist?
Cheesy Potatoes with the Works!
Everyone in the family will go crazy for these potatoes. Talk about best way to turn a bland and boring potato into something seriously delicious!
If you’ve ever ordered the cheese fries at places like Outback Steakhouse then these will very familiar to you.
On a good note though, at least they are a bit healthier than those fries since these are coated in a light amount of olive oil and baked, and you can opt to use light cheddar cheese (which works great, I tested with the first batch).
Also I chose to go somewhat skimpy with the bacon and just crumbled it up into small bits to make the flavor go further, then I opted for a light ranch rather than a fat packed, calorie heavy version.
But make them as you’d like you can even use your favorite bottled dressing.
Ingredients for Cheesy Potatoes
- Russet Potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sharp cheddar
- Light or regular ranch (homemade or store-bought)
- Green onions
How to Make Cheesy Potatoes with Bacon and Ranch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking sheet.
- In a bowl toss potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread onto prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until tender, about 55 minutes tossing three times throughout baking.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake until melted.
- Drizzle with ranch dressing, top with bacon and green onions.
More Delicious Potato Recipes to Try!
- Garlic Parmesan and Herb Roasted Potatoes
- Best Baked Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots
- Classic Potato Salad
Cheesy Bacon Ranch Roasted Potatoes
These potatoes are total comfort food! You get bite size potato portions covered with melty cheddar and they're finished with crisp bacon, creamy ranch and fresh green onions. Who could resist?
- 6 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled or chopped it bits
- 2 lbs russet potatoes , scrubbed and rinsed, diced into 3/4-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt , more to taste if desired
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz medium or sharp cheddar cheese , shredded (use 2% if desired)
- Light ranch dressing , recipe follows in notes below
- 2 - 3 green onions , whites discarded, greens chopped
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray (or just brush with olive oil using plastic wrap).
In a large mixing bowl toss potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread onto prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes, then remove from oven and toss (a metal spatula works best so you can break the few potatoes that stick away from pan). Return to oven bake 20 minutes longer, remove and toss. Return to oven and bake until golden and edges are crisp, about 15 minutes longer.
Move potatoes closer to center (just so there isn't a lot of extra space between them), sprinkle evenly with cheddar then return to oven and bake several minutes longer just until cheese has melted. Remove from oven and drizzle with ranch dressing, top with bacon and green onions. Serve immediately.
Recipe source: inspired by Barefeet in the Kitchen
For the light ranch dressing: To a small mixing bowl add 1 (5.3 oz) container fat free plain Greek yogurt, 2 Tbsp full fat mayo, 2 Tbsp milk, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley, 1/4 tsp dried dill, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and stir just to blend. Don't over mix or it will thin.