Lemonade Sugar Cookies are the perfect summer treat! Two of the best things collide, tart lemonade and sweet sugar cookies to create a fun, flavorful cookie everyone will love!
Lemonade in Sweet Chewy Cookie Form!
When I thought I’d already made every kind of lemon cookie under the sun…I was missing these frosted Chewy Lemonade Sugar Cookies! I’ve already shared a soft lemon sugar cookie so I thought I’d better share a chewy version for all the cake-like cookie haters :).
These cookies are so perfectly sweet and lemony so I decided to throw in the name “lemonade” because when I think of lemonade I think deliciously sweet and lemony.
And just like with lemonade you just can’t go wrong with these cookies! Sweet, tart lemon frosting over a chewy refreshing lemon cookie – I’m sold times three (meaning I’ll take three)!
How to Make Lemonade Cookies
- Preheat oven. Line baking sheets.
- Whisk dry ingredients.
- Blend sugar and zest in an electric stand mixer.
- Mix in butter.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Shape into balls and bake.
- Cool and frost!
Try Them Chilled for a Refreshing Treat
These cookies are also delicious cold and on a hot summer day all we want is well chilled food right, so try it out and see what you think!
Try a Cream Cheese Frosting Too
These are also excellent with a lemon cream cheese frosting if you’d like to go that route just use 3 oz. soft cream cheese, 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp lemon juice.
Then chill it before frosting the cookies if needed to help firm it up a little. Which ever frosting you choose you’ll end with one irresistibly delicious cookie that will leave everyone craving more!
More Lemony Treats You’ll Love
Follow Cooking Classy
These bright lemony cookies are are the perfect summer treat! Two of the best things collide, tart lemonade and sweet sugar cookies to create a fun, flavorful cookie everyone will love!
- 2 3/4 cups (390g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp (29g) fresh lemon zest (from about 5 large lemons)
- 1 cup(226g) unsalted butter, softened but slightly firm
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups (360g) powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream. or as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment blend sugar and lemon zest for 30 seconds until sugar appears slightly yellow and is fragrant.
- Add butter and mix until combined. Mix in egg, then mix in egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- With mixer set on low speed slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Scoop dough out 1 1/2 Tbsp at a time and shape into balls (note that if dough is too sticky for you to work with you can chill for about 30 minutes if needed).
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner, spacing cookies 2-inches apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time in preheated oven 10 - 12 minutes (cookies should appear slightly under-baked).
- Remove from oven and allow to rest several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all of the dough has been used up.
- Once cookies are cool frost cookies with lemon frosting.
For the frosting: In the bowl of an electric stand mixer blend butter until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar and lemon juice. Mix until slightly fluffy, while adding in cream to thin as needed.