Lemonade Sugar Cookies are the perfect summer treat! Two of the best things collide, tart lemonade and sweet sugar cookies to create a fun, flavorful cookie everyone will love!
Lemonade in Sweet Chewy Cookie Form!
When I thought I’d already made every kind of lemon cookie under the sun…I was missing these frosted Chewy Lemonade Sugar Cookies! I’ve already shared a soft lemon sugar cookie so I thought I’d better share a chewy version for all the cake-like cookie haters :).
These cookies are so perfectly sweet and lemony so I decided to throw in the name “lemonade” because when I think of lemonade I think deliciously sweet and lemony.
And just like with lemonade you just can’t go wrong with these cookies! Sweet, tart lemon frosting over a chewy refreshing lemon cookie – I’m sold times three (meaning I’ll take three)!
How to Make Lemonade Cookies
- Preheat oven. Line baking sheets.
- Whisk dry ingredients.
- Blend sugar and zest in an electric stand mixer.
- Mix in butter.
- Blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Shape into balls and bake.
- Cool and frost!
Try Them Chilled for a Refreshing Treat
These cookies are also delicious cold and on a hot summer day all we want is well chilled food right, so try it out and see what you think!
Try a Cream Cheese Frosting Too
These are also excellent with a lemon cream cheese frosting if you’d like to go that route just use 3 oz. soft cream cheese, 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 1 Tbsp lemon juice.
Then chill it before frosting the cookies if needed to help firm it up a little. Which ever frosting you choose you’ll end with one irresistibly delicious cookie that will leave everyone craving more!
More Lemony Treats You’ll Love
- Lemon Cupcakes
- Lemon Bars
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Glazed Lemon Sour Cream Cookies
- Lemon Snowball Cookies
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Chewy Lemonade Sugar Cookies
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment blend sugar and lemon zest for 30 seconds until sugar appears slightly yellow and is fragrant.
- Add butter and mix until combined. Mix in egg, then mix in egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- With mixer set on low speed slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Scoop dough out 1 1/2 Tbsp at a time and shape into balls (note that if dough is too sticky for you to work with you can chill for about 30 minutes if needed).
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner, spacing cookies 2-inches apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time in preheated oven 10 - 12 minutes (cookies should appear slightly under-baked).
- Remove from oven and allow to rest several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat until all of the dough has been used up.
- Once cookies are cool frost cookies with lemon frosting.
- For the frosting: In the bowl of an electric stand mixer blend butter until smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar and lemon juice. Mix until slightly fluffy, while adding in cream to thin as needed.