Forget mint chocolate chip ice cream. With these you basically get that ice cream plus a delicious chocolate cupcake in one. No the frosting is not ice cream but it tastes just like it and can also be spread over a cupcake to look like it. I want to eat it by the spoonful, as if it were ice cream. I used my favorite fluffy buttercream frosting for this recipe (because it’s my favorite, obviously) and I adapted it to be mint chocolate chip.
If you really want a cupcake that people will talk about, cut out about a tablespoon of the cupcake on the top, in the center, and spoon in some dark chocolate ganache. You’ll make friends for life with anyone who tries one :). Really they are so good they don’t need the added bonus of a rich ganache filling, so make them without it and you’ll still fall in love. Enjoy!
I haven’t tried this yet, but these would be cute to bake the cupcake portion in ice cream cones. Then top with frosting. Or you can do them like so…
Follow Cooking Classy
Chocolate Cupcakes with Fluffy Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream Frosting
Soft and fluffy, deliciously chocolatey cupcakes covered with a sweet and creamy mint buttercream.
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
- 2 1/2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting*
- 3/4 cup butter , partially softened** (preferably half salted and half unsalted butter)
- 1 tsp mint extract (don't use peppermint!)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream
- Green food coloring (I used 10 drops)
- 85 g semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate , finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large heat proof mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and baking soda. Carefully pour in boiling water and whisk until bubbling subsides and mixture is well blended, allow to cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on low speed, blend together melted butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined, about 30 seconds. Stir in egg and egg yolk, mixing just until combined after each addition. Blend in lukewarm cocoa mixture then blend in heavy cream. Slowly mix in flour and blend until combined, while scraping down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Divide batter among 12 paper lined muffin cups and bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 19 - 21 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in muffin tin several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool. Cool completely then frost with Fluffy Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream Frosting. Store in an airtight container.
- For the Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream Frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, using the paddle attachment whip butter on medium high speed until nearly white and very fluffy, about 7 - 8 minutes, frequently scrapping down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Blend in mint extract and vanilla extract. Add in powdered sugar and heavy cream and mix on low speed until combined. Blend in food coloring then increase speed to medium and beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 - 6 minutes, frequently scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Fold in chopped chocolate just before spreading frosting over cupcakes.
- *If you would like the same amount of frosting as that pictured I would make 1 1/2 of the frosting recipe.
- **Be careful not to melt the butter if softening in the microwave. I like to let mine either rest on the counter and come close to room temp or in a rush, place it in the microwave, unwrapped and resting in a small bowl and heat in 4 second intervals rotating between intervals until it's somewhat soft.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy