Forget mint chocolate chip ice cream. With these you basically get that ice cream plus a delicious chocolate cupcake in one. No the frosting is not ice cream but it tastes just like it and can also be spread over a cupcake to look like it. I want to eat it by the spoonful, as if it were ice cream. I used my favorite fluffy buttercream frosting for this recipe (because it’s my favorite, obviously) and I adapted it to be mint chocolate chip.
If you really want a cupcake that people will talk about, cut out about a tablespoon of the cupcake on the top, in the center, and spoon in some dark chocolate ganache. You’ll make friends for life with anyone who tries one :). Really they are so good they don’t need the added bonus of a rich ganache filling, so make them without it and you’ll still fall in love. Enjoy!
I haven’t tried this yet, but these would be cute to bake the cupcake portion in ice cream cones. Then top with frosting. Or you can do them like so…
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Chocolate Cupcakes with Fluffy Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large heat proof mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and baking soda. Carefully pour in boiling water and whisk until bubbling subsides and mixture is well blended, allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on low speed, blend together melted butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in egg and egg yolk, mixing just until combined after each addition. Blend in lukewarm cocoa mixture then blend in heavy cream. Slowly mix in flour and blend until combined, while scraping down sides and bottom of bowl.
- Divide batter among 12 paper lined muffin cups and bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 19 - 21 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in muffin tin several minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool.
- Cool completely then frost with Fluffy Mint Chocolate Chip Buttercream Frosting. Store in an airtight container.
- FOR THE FROSTING: In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, using the paddle attachment whip butter on medium high speed until nearly white and very fluffy, about 7 - 8 minutes, frequently scrapping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Blend in mint extract and vanilla extract. Add in powdered sugar and heavy cream and mix on low speed until combined.
- Blend in food coloring then increase speed to medium and beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 - 6 minutes, frequently scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Fold in chopped chocolate just before spreading frosting over cupcakes.