Who doesn’t love a big bowl of pasta? This Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini is so simple and comforting plus its impressive enough to serve to guests when entertaining or to simply curl up with on the sofa. Either way, you’ll love it!
Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini
Don’t we all love a good tortellini recipe? This one is far beyond good though, it is incredibly amazing! Not only that, but it was so quick and easy to prepare, you can have this ready in 20 minutes.
It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner yet it’s impressive enough to serve to guests. I love a meal like that, one that can fit into both easy weeknight meal and a fancy meal fit for guests. You’ll love this so much you’ll likely want to make it on a weekly basis!
Ingredients – Here’s What You Need
- Three Cheese Tortellini
- Heavy Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Fresh Spinach, Basil & Oregano
- Red Pepper Flakes
I love how perfectly all the flavors in this dish meld together. You get plenty of freshness, the perfect amount of creamy and just the right amount of spinach, basil, tomato flavor.
I also love that the cheese encased in the tortellini isn’t hidden by the sauce, rather it’s complemented by all the Italian inspired flavors. I may or may not have been sneaking a few pieces off my kids plates when they weren’t looking, just that good.
This is a main dish the whole family can agree on and it’s one that will have you coming back for more! The tortellini is delicious served just as it is but you could also serve it with some crusty bread, focaccia or side salad.
More Tortellini Recipes You Might Like;
- Creamy Tortellini Minestrone Soup
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Tortellini
- Tortellini with Pesto and Roasted Veggies
- Italian Sausage Kale and Tortellini Soup
Follow Cooking Classy
Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini
This Creamy Spinach Tomato Tortellini is so simple and comforting plus its impressive enough to serve to guests when entertaining or to simply curl up with on the sofa. Either way, you'll love it!
- 1 (20 oz) pkg three cheese tortellini (preferably the refrigerated kind)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/4 cups milk (I used 2%, anything but skim works fine)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) chopped fresh spinach
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dry)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp finely shredded parmesan , plus more for serving
- Red pepper flakes , for serving (optional)
- Cook tortellini according to directions listed on package.
- Meanwhile, in a large and deep skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds, then add flour and onion powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. While whisking, slowly pour in milk and cream, then whisk until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to simmer, then add tomatoes, spinach, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook several minutes longer until sauce has thickened and spinach has wilted. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Toss prepared and drained tortellini into sauce mixture (note that as the pasta rests, the sauce will seem thicker and it will sort of soak into the noodles. So, if you won't be serving it for 10 minutes or so you can stir in some pasta water, milk or cream to thin it out if desired).
- Serve warm sprinkled with additional parmesan cheese if desired and optional red pepper flakes.
- Recipe Source: adapted with some changes from allrecipes.com