A warm bowl of this Spiced Apple Cranberry Oatmeal is the perfect way to start a cool autumn morning! This is what I’ve been eating nearly every morning for the last month. It’s simple to prepare, its unbelievably filling, it tastes delicious and it’s a fairly low calorie breakfast.
I don’t even want to put this word on a food blog, but whenever we are on vacation and need a quick breakfast my husband loves to stop at McDonalds. I hate McDonalds, he loves it. It always leaves a weird after taste in my opinion and well, it tastes like fast food (or in other words partially real food).
Anyways, I never wanted to order anything when we’d stop until I noticed they added oatmeal to their menu, I was so excited to see they finally had a healthier option. Sadly, I found out, according to an article on Readers Digest, it’s really not that nutritious.
Oats made from seven ingredients does seem strange to me. I will admit, I thought it tasted pretty good but it does seem like a small portion and anybody can make oatmeal at home, so why take the time to stop at get it at the drive through. I’ve made a sort of copycat at home (that really anyone could figure out), but made it with real ingredients.
I also added in a little more spice (hence the fall spiced, not just cinnamon). You could also add chopped walnuts or pecans, but I usually don’t add them just to reduce the calories (if you wanted a healthier option you could swap out the raisins/dried cranberries for some).
Also, the cream is optional but it’s amazing what just 1 1/2 tsp of cream can add. Plus I’ve heard that a little bit of fat will assist your body in absorbing the vitamins and nutrients of healthy foods so in my mind it’s a must :). I’m sure my mom will look at it though and go what!? 1 1/2 tsp of cream I want 1/4 cup.
We both love cream, it’s basically the best ingredient ever. If only it were 0 calories though. According to my packaging labels, this oatmeal was 280 calories per serving and it’s one of the best easy breakfasts ever!
Follow Cooking Classy
Fall Spiced Apple Cran-Raisin Oatmeal
A warm bowl of this Spiced Apple Cranberry Oatmeal is the perfect way to start a cool autumn morning! It's simple to prepare, its unbelievably filling, it tastes delicious and it's a fairly low calorie breakfast.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats , quick or old fashioned
- 1/2 cup almond milk (I used original)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 tsp (heaping) cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 of a medium apple , diced
- 1 Tbsp chopped raisin cranberry blend
- 1 1/2 tsp cream
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine oats, almond milk, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt and cook in microwave on HIGH power 2 - 3 minutes stirring once halfway through cooking (2 minutes for quick oats, 3 minutes for old fashioned oats). Stir in brown sugar, apples, and raisin blend. Allow to cool then drizzle top with cream (I add a little more almond milk too), serve warm.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy