Don’t you love a good shortcut recipe? Like this pie without all the hassle of rolling out and shaping dough and spending all that time making a filling. This only requires five ingredients and it starts with a simple coconut crust and it’s filled to the brim with a rich and luscious store bought chocolate ice cream filling.
This recipes uses one of my favorite store bought ingredients, which I find myself buying on a continual basis – Breyers Gluten Free Ice Cream. I’ve mentioned before that I love Breyers Ice Cream. I have been a big fan of their ice cream for quite some time (a few of my favorites are the Natural Vanilla, Strawberry and the Chocolate). The texture, the flavors and just the perfect creaminess of their ice cream is hard to compete with. And bonus, have you heard Breyers now has 36 gluten free varieties??
Today I made their incredibly delicious German Chocolate Ice Cream Pie and my family couldn’t get enough of it! With pie season just around the corner I think you need to add this one to that upcoming menu (and you better make a test one first, right :). I’ve always thought there should be more ice cream pies out there because it is one of my favorite foods after all. This would also make for a fabulous weekend treat, because you should definitely treat yourself sometimes.
I’m telling you, you are going to love this german chocolate cake inspired ice cream pie (as in, you’ll likely dream about it once it’s gone)! It is loaded with the flavors you find in a traditional german chocolate dessert, which included plenty of coconut, toasted pecans (or un-toasted if you want to save time) and caramel sauce to mimic that brown sugar, caramel-like flavor in a traditional german chocolate sauce. Simply put, this ice cream pie is irresistible.
Many thanks to Breyers for supplying such a high quality product that I know I can consistently count on to serve my family, friends and guests. Oh, and myself of course, I’m an ice cream snob!
Follow Cooking Classy
German Chocolate Ice Cream Pie
Irresistible pie layered with butter pie crust, rich chocolate ice cream, sweet caramel and coconut flakes.
- 1 (14 oz) bag sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 3 Tbsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter® Spread , melted
- 1 (1.5 qt) container Breyers® Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 Tbsp Breyers® Caramel Flavored Ice Cream Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch deep dish pie plate with no-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the coconut, then combine remaining coconut with melted margarine or ICBINB in a medium mixing bowl. Toss until mixture is evenly moistened, then firmly press into bottom and sides of prepared pie dish. Bake 13 - 15 minutes then cover edges loosely with foil to prevent excessive browning, then bake 10 - 15 minutes longer until crust is golden. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, spread remaining 1/2 cup coconut on a microwave safe plate and microwave on HIGH power 1 minute. Stir then microwave in 30 second increments until golden, stirring after each increment, set aside (alternately you can just toast coconut in oven on a baking sheet since it is already preheated from baking crust).
- Allow Breyers® Chocolate Ice Cream to soften at room temperature slightly then spread into cooled crust while smoothing top to form an even layer. Spread 2 Tbsp Breyers™ Caramel Flavored Ice Cream Sauce evenly over top then sprinkle evenly with toasted pecans and remaining toasted coconut. Freeze until pie is firm enough to cut into clean slices, about 1 hour (you can also serve right away slices won't hold their shape as well though).
- Recipe from Breyers®
Please note that the pie isn’t gluten-free unless you use certified gluten-free ingredients. Always read labels to make sure everything works for your dietary needs.