I’m loving the Hawaiian flavors lately. I made Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches a few days ago (which were amazing if I do say so myself =) and I had some left over fresh pineapple so I thought, why not make another Hawaiian inspired dish. These sandwiches are packed with the flavors of the Islands.
I tried to think of all foods that remind me of Hawaii when making this recipe (even though sadly I’ve never been there, what is up with that??). Of course I thought of Hawaiian Pizza, one of my favorites with it’s ham and pineapple combo. Then I’d say the first type of nut I think of when I think of Hawaii is Macadamia, and can you have a chicken salad sandwich without some kind of nut?
Also, I wanted to add a bit of sweetness to the dressing (but don’t worry it’s not overly sweet) so I added in the honey and pineapple juice. I don’t like a really thick dressing over my chicken salad but if you do you could omit the pineapple juice and add a few more tablespoons of the mayo or some Greek yogurt. I hope you love these delicious Island inspired sandwiches! May they make you feel as though you are vacationing in Hawaii. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
Hawaiian Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 lbs cooked chicken breast , chilled and shredded
- 8 oz cooked ham , chilled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh pineapple (canned would work too, but drain well)
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 2/3 cup chopped Macadamia nuts or Cashews
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onions
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together shredded chicken, diced ham, pineapple, celery, nuts and green onions. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, pineapple juice, honey, apple cider vinegar, onion powder and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing over chicken mixture. Toss to evenly coat. Serve on Crusty Rustic Bread, Hawaiian Sweet Bread or whatever bread, roll or croissant you'd like.