Homemade Ranch Dressing is so much better than store-bought and it’s easy to make too! This version has a blend of buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, and some flavorful herbs and spices. A recipe you’ll definitely want to keep on file.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe
I’ve been making homemade ranch dressing for a long time — basically since I first learned to cook. And now I think I’ve finally perfected it.
I make this buttermilk ranch dressing recipe a few times a month for dinner, and I love to make it for parties too because it’s probably safe to say most people just use store-bought ranch of some kind. So it’s a pleasant surprise getting the homemade stuff.
For lazy days, I like to order pizza and serve a side salad with this ranch. It’s so good as a pizza dip too!
Really though, this buttermilk ranch dressing goes with just about any main dish you can think of. You can’t go wrong with a side salad with ranch.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Ingredients
Homemade buttermilk ranch dressing is super simple to make and uses a lot of pantry staples. Here’s what you’ll need to make the best ranch dressing at home:
- Sour cream
- Fresh parsley
- Dried chives
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Milk (if needed)
How to Make Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Mince herbs and garlic.
- Mix buttermilk, mayonnaise, herbs, spices, garlic.
- Thin with milk to reach desired consistency.
So easy! And after one taste you’ll be so glad you’ve finally tried the homemade ranch!
How Long Does Ranch Dressing Last?
This homemade buttermilk ranch dressing keeps well for about 6 – 7 days in the fridge.
Can I Make Homemade Ranch Lighter?
I definitely prefer this homemade ranch dressing recipe as is, but to cut calories you could try it with light mayonnaise.
Ways to Eat Ranch Dressing
There are so many ways to enjoy this homemade ranch dressing recipe. Obviously it’s great as a salad dressing, but here are a few more ways to enjoy your buttermilk ranch:
- As a veggie dip
- As a potato salad dressing
- As a sandwich spread
- As a topping for roasted potatoes
- As a topping for chicken tacos
Tips for the Best Homemade Ranch
- If the buttermilk you used was thick, you’ll probably need a little milk to thin out this homemade buttermilk ranch dressing.
- If the buttermilk was thin, then you probably won’t need any milk. Note that the dressing should be on the thicker side though.
- My favorite side salad to make with this homemade ranch is either romaine or iceberg lettuce, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, diced Roma tomatoes, shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese, and croutons. You also can’t go wrong with sliced boiled eggs and bacon added in too.
More Salad Dressing Recipes You’ll Love:
- Avocado Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- Caesar Dressing
- Warm Bacon Dressing
- The Old Spaghetti Factory’s Creamy Pesto Dressing
- Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Italian Dressing
Follow Cooking Classy
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (full-fat)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup natural sour cream
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dried chives (I use the freeze dried kind)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced (3/4 tsp)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 - 2 tbsp milk (to thin, if needed)
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, parsley, chives, onion powder and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. It should be on the salty side as it will be seasoning the salad).
- Thin with milk if needed*. If you have time let it rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld better. Serve over salad**.
- *If the buttermilk you used was thick you'll probably need a little milk to thin, if the buttermilk was thin then you probably won't need any milk. Note that the dressing should be on the thicker side though.
- **My favorite side salad is either romaine or iceberg lettuce, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, diced Roma tomatoes, shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese and croutons with this ranch. You also can't go wrong with sliced boiled eggs and bacon added in too.