Homemade Ranch Dressing is so much better than store bought and it’s easy to make too! This version has a blend of buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, and some flavorful herbs and spices. A recipe you’ll definitely want to keep on file.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Recipe
I’ve been making homemade ranch for a long time – basically since I first learned to cook. And now I think I’ve finally perfected it.
I make this a few times a month for dinner and I love to make it for parties too because it’s probably safe to say most people just use store-bought ranch of some kind. So it’s a pleasant surprise getting the homemade stuff.
How to Make Ranch
- Mince herbs and garlic.
- Mix buttermilk, mayonnaise, herbs, spices, garlic.
- Thin with milk to reach desired consistency.
So easy! And after one taste you’ll be so glad you’ve finally tried the homemade ranch!
For lazy days I like to order pizza and serve a side salad with this ranch. It’s so good as a pizza dip too!
Really though this goes with just about any main dish you can think of. You can’t go wrong with a side salad with ranch.
How Long Does it Keep?
It keeps well for about 6 – 7 days in the fridge.
Can I Make it Lighter?
I definitely prefer this as is but to cut calories you could try it with light mayonnaise.
More Ranch Recipes You’ll Love
Follow Cooking Classy
Homemade Buttermilk Ranch
Homemade Ranch Dressing is so much better than store bought and it's easy to make too! This version has a creamy blend of mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, and some flavorful herbs and spices. A recipe you'll definitely want to keep on file.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (full-fat)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup natural sour cream
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp dried chives (I use the freeze dried kind)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced (3/4 tsp)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 - 2 tbsp milk to thin if needed
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, parsley, chives, onion powder and garlic.
Season with salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. It should be on the salty side as it will be seasoning the salad).
Thin with milk if needed*. If you have time let it rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld better. Serve over salad**.
- If the buttermilk you used was thick you'll probably need a little milk to thin, if the buttermilk was thin then you probably won't need any milk. Note that the dressing should be on the thicker side though.
- My favorite side salad is either romaine or iceberg lettuce, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, diced Roma tomatoes, shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese and croutons with this ranch. You also can't go wrong with sliced boiled eggs and bacon added in too.