This Honey Glazed Salmon recipe comes together in just 30 minutes and is perfect for busy weeknights! The citrus avocado salsa is the perfect pairing!
Healthy Honey Glazed Salmon Recipe
The month of January is all about starting new resolutions and becoming healthier. To help us keep up those healthy habits, we have American Heart Month in February.
It is a great time to remind us how important our hearts are to keeping our bodies healthy and happy. An important part of keeping our hearts healthy is adding more oh-so important omega-3 fatty acids to our diet.
Did you know that heart disease is currently the leading cause of death in the United States, with over 800,000 lives lost each year? According to the American Heart Association, one of the simplest preventive measures Americans can take to protect their heart health is to eat fish high in omega-3s, like heart-smart salmon, at least twice a week.
Not only is salmon packed with omega-3’s, it also contains generous amounts of vitamin D and is packed with lean protein. This healthy trio can help reduce cholesterol which in turn can lower your risk of a heart attack by one-third. One third!
Unfortunately, the average American only consumes 3.5 ounces of fish per week, despite the convincing evidence of its effect on heart health. This means most of us are not fully reaping the benefits that salmon has to offer.
It’s for these reasons that I have partnered with The Salmon Council, to bring you this amazing salmon recipe. This recipe is healthy and incredibly delicious!
It has layers of flavor and each bite will leave you craving another. I love the way the light sweetness of the honey glaze pairs with the orange avocado salsa.
Honey Glazed Salmon Ingredients
To make this honey baked salmon with avocado salsa, you’ll need the following:
- Skinless salmon fillets
- All-purpose flour
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Hass avocado
- Red onion
- Lime juice and zest
- Fresh cilantro
How to Make Honey Glazed Salmon
- Season salmon fillets with salt and pepper, then rub with honey and sprinkle with flour.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Brown salmon on both sides.
- Transfer salmon fillets to a baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 7 to 10 minutes.
- While the salmon bakes, make the avocado salsa.
- Serve the honey salmon with avocado salsa.
Can I Use Maple Syrup Instead?
I know many recipes calling for honey can be made using maple syrup instead, and vice versa. However, this honey baked salmon is best made as written. I worry that the maple syrup would overpower the citrus avocado salsa.
If you’d like to make a maple salmon recipe, I recommend giving my Maple-Soy Glazed Salmon a go.
What to Serve with Honey Glazed Salmon
This honey salmon pairs nicely with a variety of sides. Some of my favorite salmon side dishes include:
Tips for Making Honey Glazed Salmon
- You can make this without the oranges when they aren’t in season. Simply up the avocados to two and replace the one teaspoon of orange zest with an additional tsp of lime zest.
- To make this honey glazed salmon recipe gluten-free, I’m sure you could use an all-purpose gluten-free flour instead.
- If you have leftovers, I recommend enjoying them cold. Salmon doesn’t reheat very well.
More Salmon Dinner Recipes You’ll Love!
- Salmon and Asparagus in Foil
- Salmon with Garlic Lemon Butter Sauce
- Skillet Seared Salmon with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Brown Sugar Lime Baked Salmon
- Sweet and Sour Salmon
Follow Cooking Classy
Honey Glazed Salmon with Citrus Avocado Salsa
- 4 (6 oz) skinless salmon fillets
- 8 tsp honey , divided
- 8 tsp all-purpose flour , divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large hass avocado , peeled, cored and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion (I like to run under cool water to remove harsh bite)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 small navel oranges , peeled, segmented and diced*
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro , chopped
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salmon:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Working with 2 salmon fillets at t time, sprinkle tops of fillets with salt and pepper, then drizzle tops with 1 tsp honey and rub over salmon to evenly cover, then sprinkle tops with 1 tsp flour and spread to cover.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, once oil is hot add 2 salmon fillets to pan and cook until bottom is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- While they cook, sprinkle tops of fillets in pan with salt and pepper then drizzle and rub top with 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp flour. Carefully rotate salmon and cook until bottom is golden, about 2 minutes longer.
- Repeat process with remaining 2 fillets.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray then transfer salmon to baking sheet. Bake in preheated until cooked through, about 7 - 10 minutes longer (cook time will vary depending on thickness of salmon).
- Serve warm with citrus avocado salsa.
For the salsa:
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and gently toss, while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- *This can also be made without the oranges, just omit the oranges and orange zest and use 2 avocados and up lime zest to 2 tsp.
- Recipe source: salmon portion adapted from my other recipe here.