The month of January is all about starting new resolutions and becoming healthier. To help us keep up those healthy habits, we have American Heart Month in February. It is a great time to remind us how important our hearts are to keeping our bodies healthy and happy. An important part of keeping our hearts healthy is adding more oh-so important omega-3 fatty acids to our diet.
Did you know that heart disease is currently the leading cause of death in the United States, with over 800,000 lives lost each year? According to the American Heart Association, one of the simplest preventive measures Americans can take to protect their heart health is to eat fish high in omega-3s, like heart-smart salmon, at least twice a week.
Not only is salmon packed with omega-3’s, it also contains generous amounts of vitamin D and is packed with lean protein. This healthy trio can help reduce cholesterol which in turn can lower your risk of a heart attack by one-third. One third!
Unfortunately, the average American only consumes 3.5 ounces of fish per week, despite the convincing evidence of it’s effect on heart health. This means most of us are not fully reaping the benefits that salmon has to offer.
It’s for these reasons that I have partnered with The Salmon Council, to bring you this amazing salmon recipe. This recipe is healthy and incredibly delicious! It has layers of flavor and each bite will leave you craving another. I love the way the light sweetness of the honey glaze pairs with the orange avocado salsa. If you’d like you can make this without the oranges when they aren’t in season, simply up the avocados to two and replace the one teaspoon of orange zest with an additional tsp of lime zest. Either way you make it you’re going to love it!
Since heart health starts in the kitchen, The Salmon Council is teaming up with Rubbermaid, to help prepare and serve up healthy food. They have some fun products that help you bring your heart-healthy salmon dish on-the-road with you, share it with family and friends and/or wash it down with some fitness-inspiring beverages. I was able to try the following products, and I must say, I’m impressed!
- Lunchblox Salad Kit – This super practical kit makes packing lunch easier than ever. These modular containers snap together in multiple configurations to efficiently use the space in your lunch box or bag. Containers are perfectly portioned for your favorite lunch foods with handy measurements on the sides of each container. Your lunch stays chilled with snap in Blue Ice™.
- Party Platter – Rubbermaid’s Party Platter is a lightweight two-in-one food container designed for entertaining at home or taking a dish to a social event. The large divided base keeps different types of food separated, while a smaller leak-proof inner container holds the dip and nests snuggly into the base. Each container comes with a secure lid that creates a tight seal and allows for safe and easy transportation.
- Shaker Bottle – The Rubbermaid Shaker Bottle provides a unique bottle solution with a mixing mechanism for mixing protein shakes and remixing juices or smoothies.
Please don’t forget to check out out The Salmon Council’s social media channels for more great salmon recipes!
Follow Cooking Classy
Honey Glazed Salmon with Citrus Avocado Salsa
A healthy salmon recipe made with nutritious salmon fillets and a bright, creamy orange avocado salsa.
- 4 (6 oz) skinless salmon fillets
- 8 tsp honey , divided
- 8 tsp flour , divided
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large hass avocado , peeled, cored and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion (I like to run under cool water to remove harsh bite)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 small navel oranges , peeled, segmented and diced*
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 Tbsp cilantro , chopped
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Working with 2 salmon fillets at t time, sprinkle tops of fillets with salt and pepper, then drizzle tops with 1 tsp honey and rub over salmon to evenly cover, then sprinkle tops with 1 tsp flour and spread to cover. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, once oil is hot add 2 salmon fillets to pan and cook until bottom is golden brown, about 2 minutes. While they cook, sprinkle tops of fillets in pan with salt and pepper then drizzle and rub top with 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp flour. Carefully rotate salmon and cook until bottom is golden, about 2 minutes longer. Repeat process with remaining 2 fillets.
Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray then transfer salmon to baking sheet. Bake in preheated until cooked through, about 7 - 10 minutes longer (cook time will vary depending on thickness of salmon). Serve warm with citrus avocado salsa.
For the salsa:
Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and gently toss, while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
*This can also be made without the oranges, just omit the oranges and orange zest and use 2 avocados and up lime zest to 2 tsp.
Recipe source: salmon portion adapted from my other recipe here