Here Chocolate meets Cobbler for one unforgettable dessert! It’s like a molten, warm chocolate lava cake and you’re going to be head-over-heels in love with this rich decadence. It’s easy to make and sure to be loved by people all ages.
Chocolate Fudge Cake, AKA Chocolate Cobbler
There are two main recipes for this cake online, there’s a version that uses vegetable oil and more water and another that uses butter and less water. I went with the butter option because
- Butter is better.
- I like that it used less water which would mean a thicker sauce.
The only thing I thought the recipe needed was more salt, which I’ve added to the recipe below. Other than that it’s golden! And how I can’t wait to make it again!
How to Make Chocolate Cobbler
- Preheat oven (350) and butter baking dish.
- Whisk 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Mix in milk, butter and vanilla.
- Spread into baking dish.
- Mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, 1/4 cup cocoa and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Pour mixture over batter in baking dish and spread even.
- Pour in hot water (don’t stir).
- Bake until center is nearly set, about 35 – 40 minutes.
Just look at all that molten, fudgy chocolate goodness…
What Should I Serve with It?
I mean it’s pure magic on it’s own but you can go wrong with a few toppings. Here are my suggestions.
- Ice cream. Vanilla, chocolate or strawberry.
- Fresh strawberries or raspberries.
- Nuts for a little textural contrast. Walnuts, pecans or peanuts.
- Banana slices. Just thing of a hot fudge sundae.
- Maraschino cherries, cause why not?
More Chocolate Recipes You’ll Love
Hot Fudge Cake AKA Chocolate Cobbler
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (142g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (74g) unsalted butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces and melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (110g) packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (355ml) very hot water
- Sliced strawberries and bananas
- Vanilla ice cream
- Chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Mint leaves (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 by 9-inch (or 11 by 7-inch) baking dish, set aside.
In a large mixing bowl whisk together 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar, flour, 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt for 20 seconds. Pour in milk, melted butter and vanilla and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until well blended. Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish.
In a mixing bowl whisk together remaining 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar, brown sugar, remaining 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Pour mixture over batter and spread into an even layer. Carefully pour hot water evenly over top, do not stir.
Bake in preheated oven 35 - 40 minutes until center is nearly set (it should still wiggle slightly). Remove from oven and let stand for 10 - 15 minutes before serving. Serve in bowls topped with strawberries, bananas, ice cream and pecans if desired. Garnish with mint. Serve immediately.
Recipe source: adapted from Hershey's