This salad includes tender baby kale, nutritious farro, sweet grapes, salty feta and a tangy white wine vinaigrette. It’s a unique salad that’s adds something new and exciting to the menu!
The Perfect Way to Use Farro
I’m loving all the summer salads lately! This Kale Grape and Farro Salad is so refreshing and it’s packed with healthy ingredients.
I love that it uses tender baby kale leaves rather than the tougher, heavier curly kale which has a rougher, stronger flavor.
Pair the kale with fresh crisp grapes, salty feta, crunchy walnuts, a zesty dressing, and hearty farro and you’ve got a salad worth remembering!
What Do You Cook with Farro?
I like to eat farro in soups and salads and it’s even good enough to eat plain, in place of things like brown rice. You can also make a risotto type dish with it.
Many grocery stores are starting to carry it now, you can usually find it by the rice and quinoa.
Ingredients You’ll Need for This Kale Salad Recipe
- Olive oil
- White wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Baby kale
How do You Cook Farro?
Here we cook the farro right in the soup but if you plan on cooking farro on it’s own here’s how you do it:
- You’ll need 1 part farro to about 3 parts water, and a bit of salt.
- Rinse and drain the farro in a fine mesh sieve.
- Place in a saucepan or pot. Add salt and enough water or stock to cover.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 30 minutes
- Drain off any excess water.
How to Make This Salad
- In a jar combine olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, mustard, shallot and season with salt.
- Cover with lid and shake to blend. Chill until ready to serve.
- Add kale, cooked farro, grapes, feta and walnuts to a salad bowl. Pour over dressing and toss to evenly coat.
More Farro Recipes to Try
Farro and Kale Salad with Grapes Feta and White Wine Vinaigrette
A healthy farro recipe! This salad includes tender baby kale, nutritious farro, sweet grapes, salty feta and a tangy white wine vinaigrette. It's a unique salad that's adds something new and exciting to the menu!
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp minced shallot
- 3/4 cup dry farro, cooked according to directions on package and cooled
- 5 oz. baby kale
- 12 oz. red grapes, halved (about 2 cups if small or 3 if large)
- 4 oz. feta, crumbled
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
For the dressing - In a jar combine olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, mustard, shallot and season with salt to taste (about a heaping 1/4 tsp).
Cover with lid and shake to blend. Chill until ready to serve.
For the salad - Add kale, cooked farro, grapes, feta and walnuts to a salad bowl. Pour over dressing and toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy