Is it just me or does January seem kind of blah? Not only are the holidays and the fun and the parties over, but the overabundance of great food suddenly seems to disappear. It’s probably a good thing because with that many treats around, how can any of us resist?
Part of that abundance for me during the holidays were one of my favorites, Almond Poppy Seed Pancakes. I made them twice and almost a third time (but we ran out of poppy seeds). They are everyone in my families favorite, including myself.
This time around I decided to switch it up a bit and make a lemon version. I have been meaning to try the lemon poppy seed pancakes ever since I first tried the almond variation.
I’ve just been too hooked on the almond kind to ever give these a chance. It’s about time I did though because these pancakes are utterly irresistible. Seriously.
Good luck when you say you are going to limit yourself to one. That’s pretty much just impossible.
These amazingly fluffy, perfectly golden, zesty lemon pancakes are loaded with poppy seeds and drenched in a vibrantly lemony syrup.
When I want lemon poppy seed pancakes I’m not just going to stop at the pancakes, a delicious lemon syrup for pairing is a must.
They’re just meant to be together, don’t make one and not the other because the pancakes just wouldn’t be the same without the syrup.
Follow Cooking Classy
Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Lemon Cream Syrup
All the flavors of a lemon poppy seed muffin in soft and fluffy pancake form! Everyone will quickly fall in love with these!
Makes about 14 pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp butter , melted
- Diced fresh strawberries , for serving (optional)
Lemon Cream Syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter (I recommend salted butter)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- For the pancakes:
- Preheat an electric griddle to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt for 30 seconds. Create a well in dry mixture and set aside. In a seperate mixing bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar with lemon zest, then blend in buttermilk, lemon juice, eggs, lemon extract, vanilla extract and melted butter. Pour buttermilk mixture into well in flour mixture and whisk just until nearly combined (batter should be lumpy, don't over-mix). Butter griddle if necessary and pour batter onto griddle into rounds about 1/4 - 1/3 cup at a time. Cook until bottom is golden then flip and cook opposite side until golden. Serve immediately with Lemon Cream Syrup and fresh strawberries if desired.
- For the syrup:
- In a medium saucepan combine heavy cream, butter, sugar and lemon juice. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture begins to boil. Allow to boil for 1 without stirring, then remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Whisk for about 10 seconds until mixture becomes foamy and frothy then return to low heat and cook about 30 seconds longer (until baking soda flavor has cooked out), then remove from heat and stir in lemon extract. Serve warm.
- Note: Syrup can be stored in the refrigerator up to one week and reheated before serving.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy, adapted slightly from my Almond Poppyseed Pancakes