Maple Apple Bars – A truly delightful dessert is formed when the flavors of a apple spice cake meet the exciting flavors of a maple glazed doughnut. These are scrape the pan clean good!
They are perfectly moist, generously spiced, loaded with fresh fruit, then smothered with silky maple cream cheese glaze. This bar is Heaven! I’m pretty certain that if I hadn’t restrained myself with some self control then I easily could have finished the entire jelly roll pan myself, yeah just that good =).
My husband ate them and said mmmm this is like a healthier maple bar. I’d have to agree, they tastes similar, but in my opinion these are better and healthier. Spices and fresh fruit make everything better! Got some extra apples lounging around just waiting for the perfect use? Then you must give these a try!
Follow Cooking Classy
Maple Apple Bars with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
Deliciously flavorful maple apple and spice bars with a rich cream cheese glaze finish.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp maple flavor
- 2 cups (packed) unpeeled, grated gala apples (about 4 small, don't grate the core)
- 1 Recipe Maple Cream Cheese Glaze , recipe follows
- 1/2 cup chopped Pecans or Walnuts (optional)
Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
- 3 oz . 1/3 less fat Cream Cheese , softened
- 2 Tbsp butter , softened
- 1 tsp maple flavor
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, stir together granulated sugar, light-brown sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, vanilla extract and maple flavor on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir in dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Stir in grated apples. Pour mixture into a buttered 15x10 inch jellyroll pan. Bake 22-25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool to lukewarm then frost with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze. Sprinkle with optional nuts. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, whip together cream cheese, butter, maple flavor and salt until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar and milk and mix until well blended and smooth.