You can never have too many salmon recipes, right? I could eat salmon every day, so now if only they could sell it for the same price as chicken. I have been trying to eat more fish lately, and salmon is definitely my favorite type of fish so it’s almost always my go to choice. I should expand my horizon and broaden my palate and cook with different types of fish like swordfish or tuna, but salmon is just my favorite so I don’t venture out much. Plus I’ve finally gotten my kids to love it.
This salmon is packed with flavor, full of nutritious ingredients, it’s easy to make and clean up is a breeze! I love cooking with ingredients that are in season and we all know this summer everyone will be overflowing with an abundance of zucchini, squash and fresh from the vine tomatoes so why not make a dish that combines all of those? In the past I’ve always thought tomatoes and salmon were such a strange combo (who knows why), then I finally got over that and tried it and I totally love it, as long as things are seasoned right. This is like an Italian spin on salmon in foil and you are totally going to love it! My picky 4 year old couldn’t get enough of it!
Follow Cooking Classy
16 Quick & Easy 30 Minute Recipes! (plus weekly recipe updates)
Salmon and Summer Veggies in Foil
- 4 (5 - 6 oz) skinless salmon fillets
- 2 small zucchini (13 oz) sliced into half moons
- 2 small yellow squash (13 oz) sliced into half moons
- 2 shallots , 1 thinly sliced and 1 chopped (there are usually two in a whole shallot)
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil , divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 large Roma tomatoes , diced
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut 4 sheets of aluminum foil into 17-inch lengths.
- Toss zucchini, squash, sliced shallot and garlic together with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and divide among 4 sheets of foil, placing veggies in center of foil.
- Brush salmon fillets with 1 Tbsp of the olive oil, season bottom side with salt and pepper then place one fillet over each layer of veggies on foil. Drizzle lemon juice over salmon and season top with salt and pepper.
- Toss together tomatoes, remaining diced shallot, thyme, oregano and marjoram with remaining 1 1/2 tsp olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Divide tomato mixture over salmon fillets. Wrap sides of foil inward then fold up ends to seal.
- Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until salmon has cooked through, about 25 - 30 minutes (cook time may vary based on thickness of salmon fillets). Carefully open foil packets and serve warm.