Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce is a must have dinner recipe! Lean chicken breasts are pan seared until golden brown and they become the perfect base to this rich, flavorful mushroom sauce. Trust me, it’s a recipe you’ll want on repeat!
Tasty Chicken with Mushrooms
I’m loving skillet chicken recipes lately (if you have noticed, this is the third one I’m sharing in a row). They are quick, easy, and so versatile.
You get perfectly seared chicken breasts that are covered in a rich and creamy, lightly herbed, perfectly garlicky, slightly cheesy mushroom sauce and together it’s the perfect blend of flavor.
The recipe does seem like it has a lot of steps and ingredients but after you’v made it once it should go quickly the next time around.
Now I just need to figure out how to get my husband and kids to love mushrooms like I do so I can add this one to my dinner rotation.
What Should I Serve with This Chicken?
- Pasta like spaghetti or linguine
- Couscous or orzo
- Steamed asparagus or broccoli
- Roasted Vegetables
- Baked Potatoes
Follow Cooking Classy
Skillet Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Here you get perfectly seared chicken breasts that are covered in a rich and creamy, lightly herbed, perfectly garlicky, slightly cheesy mushroom sauce and together it's the perfect blend of flavor.
- 2 (10 - 11 oz each) chicken breasts, butterflied and halved
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 cups + 1 Tbsp low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp each dried thyme and oregano
- 2 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Let chicken cutlets rest at room temperature 10 minutes (while gathering and prepping remaining ingredients).
- In a shallow dish whisk together flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Heat olive oil in 12-inch skillet over medium high heat.
- Dredge both sides each piece of chicken in flour mixture then place in hot oil in skillet. Cook until bottom is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Rotate and cook opposite side, reducing temperature just slightly if needed, until golden brown on bottom and chicken is 165 in center, about 4 - 6 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- While chicken is cooking, melt butter in a separate skillet over medium heat then add mushrooms and garlic and saute until mushrooms just begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Once chicken has been cooked and removed from skillet, leave skillet over medium-high heat and pour 1 1/4 cups of the chicken broth into skillet (the chicken skillet), while scraping up browned bites from the bottom.
- Add mushroom mixture to broth in skillet as well as thyme and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low and let simmer until reduced by about 1/2, about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Whisk together remaining 1 Tbsp chicken broth with cornstarch. Pour into chicken broth mixture in skillet and allow to gently boil, while whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Stir in parmesan and cream, season with pepper to taste and a little salt if needed, then return return chicken to skillet. Garnish with parsley and serve chicken warm, spoon sauce mixture over top.
Adapted slightly from The Midnight Baker