This Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup is the perfect comforting soup for those cold winter days! It’s so easy to make and oh so satisfying!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
I woke up this morning to the relaxing sound of pouring rain outside my window. Though it can seem gloomy and dark out (not to mention the days are beginning to feel so much shorter) these rainy and cold days make for great soup days.
It’s so nice to be able to come home after a long, cold day and wrap yourself up in your softest, cozy blanket and sink yourself into your plush couch and enjoy a large bowl of warm soup. And it doesn’t get much better than having dinner basically ready and waiting for you when you get home!
Ingredients You Need To Make Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Broccoli florets
- Yellow onion
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Evaporated milk
Tips For Making This Soup In The Slow Cooker
- Don’t skip the step of sauteing the onions in a skillet beforehand. This creates a lot of flavor and will make a difference to the end flavor of the soup.
- If you’re going out for the day keep the slow cooker on low for 6 hours and it’ll be ready to eat after a long day.
Who doesn’t love a good slow cooker dish? I’m hooked on them lately, this is the third soup I’ve posted that’s made in the slow cooker in just a few weeks.
This soup is amazingly easy, it’s incredibly delicious and hearty and it’s perfectly cheesy. This is definitely a new slow cooker favorite for me. Enjoy!
More Delicious Soup Recipes to Try!
Follow Cooking Classy
This Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup is the perfect comforting soup for those cold winter days! It's so easy to make and oh so satisfying!
- 1/3 cup butter , sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups small diced broccoli florets*
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese , freshly shredded (or more to taste)
- 2 oz parmesan cheese , freshly & finely shredded
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 - 4 minutes. Add garlic, flour and season lightly with salt and pepper then cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. While whisking, slowly pour in evaporated milk (whisk well to smooth).
Cook mixture, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken then pour into a slow cooker along with chicken broth, diced broccoli and thyme. Cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 - 6 hours.
- Turn heat to warm (or off) and stir in heavy cream, then add in shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese and stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
- *From about 20 oz broccoli crowns, large stems cut off and discarded (or reserved for another use), florets diced into small pieces.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy