Sweet Potato Hash with Kale Bacon and Avocado is the perfect autumn breakfast. It’s deliciously flavorful and has a nice blend of textures. Finish it off with whole grain buttered toast and a fried egg!
Sweet Potato Hash
But truly this is one of those meals that’s not just intended to be for breakfast.
This hash is good any time of day. Breakfast, lunch or dinner. And I’m loving every last ingredient!
You can’t go wrong with this combination. You get a blend of the natural sweetness from the sweet potatoes, the saltiness and crispness of the bacon, the tender earthy kale, and those oh so delicious and creamy avocados.
I’ve been buying and eating sweet potatoes like crazy lately so I’m happy to have another perfect use for them.
Ingredients You’ll Need for this Recipe
- Sweet potatoes
- Yellow onion
- Spices including cumin, paprika, salt and pepper
- Curly kale
- Whole grain toast and fried eggs (optional)
Scroll below for full printable recipe.
How to Make Sweet Potato Hash
- Heat skillet. Add bacon and cook until crisp then transfer bacon while leaving fat in skillet.
- Add sweet potatoes and onions to skillet. Season with spices.
- Cover and cook, tossing occasionally, until sweet potatoes have softened.
- Add kale. Cover saucepan and cook until kale wilts.
- Toss in cooked bacon and avocado. Serve warm with buttered toast and egg.
Bacon makes everything better, right? I’m slightly addicted. It works magic on any dish in my opinion and this hash most definitely wouldn’t be the same with out it.
Make it soon, you won’t regret it!
More Sweet Potato Recipes You Might Like
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Slow Cooker Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Broccoli
- Autumn Sausage Veggie and Apple Sheet Pan Dinner
Sweet Potato Kale Bacon and Avocado Hash
- 8 slices (8 oz) bacon, chopped
- 2 large (1 1/2 lbs) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (regular works too)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium bunch kale, tough stems removed, chopped (about 4 packed cups), then rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted (optional)
- 4 fried eggs, for serving (optional)
Heat a 12-inch non-stick skillet (with deep sides) over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 6 - 8 minutes.
Transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towels, while leaving 2 1/2 Tbsp rendered bacon fat in skillet.
Reduce heat to medium, add sweet potatoes and onions to skillet. Season with cumin and paprika, then season with salt and pepper to taste and toss.
Cover and cook, stirring about every 3 minutes, until sweet potatoes have softened, about 10 - 12 minutes.
Add kale. Cover saucepan and cook until kale wilts, about 1 - 2 minutes.
Toss in cooked bacon and avocado. Serve warm with buttered toast and egg.
Recipe source: Cooking Classy
Egg and bread not including in nutritional info.