Cheesy Bacon Ranch Potato Soup
This soup is deliciously creamy and packed to the max with flavor! A tasty upgrade on the classic potato soup.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dry ranch dressing mix
- 3 lbs Russet potatoes , peeled and diced into about 3/4-1" cubes (about 8 medium potatoes)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
- 2 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth*
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 oz . sharp cheddar cheese , divided (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 oz . finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10 slices bacon , cooked and chopped (or crumbled if you like it extra crispy)
- 3 green onions , chopped
In a mixing bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup milk and ranch seasoning mix. Cover bowl and refrigerate.
Heat olive oil a large cast iron dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and saute about 4 minutes until golden, add garlic and saute 1 more minute. Add chicken broth and diced potatoes and bring mixture just to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, cover pot and cook 15 - 20 minutes until potatoes are very tender.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups milk with 1/4 cup flour (whisk very well to break up flour) and pour mixture into soup. Increase temperature to medium high heat, and bring mixture just to a boil, stirring constantly (stirring constantly will help break down the potatoes a bit).
Once mixture reaches a boil, reduce heat to low, add ranch dressing mixture from refrigerator, 1 cup (4 oz) grated Cheddar cheese, grated Parmesan cheese and season with black pepper to taste.
Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently (note, if you want smaller potato chunks in the soup you can simply mash the soup with a potato masher to break them down a bit more). Serve warm, sprinkle each serving with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, chopped bacon, and chopped green onions.
*you can use low sodium chicken broth if you prefer, for this recipe I just used regular and didn't add any salt to the soup. If you use low sodium you may want to add additional salt to the soup.