Grilled Honey Lime Chicken
Easy to make deliciously bright and flavorful marinated and grilled chicken.
- 1.5 - 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves or chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro (optional)
If chicken isn't an even thickness then place chicken in a large ziploc bag and seal bag. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound chicken to an even thickness.
Place chicken in a non-reactive dish in a single layer. In a mixing bowl whisk together remaining ingredients. Reserve 2 Tbsp of the mixture in a non-reactive, airtight container in the refrigerator. Pour remaining mixture over the chicken, cover dish and allow to marinate 2 - 6 hours.
Preheat grill to medium high heat. Once preheated, brush grill lightly with olive oil. Place chicken on grill and cook (with lid closed) 5-8 minutes per side until juices run clear (cook time depends on the thickness of the chicken, internal temp should register to 160 when done), baste each side of chicken with reserved marinade during the last minute of cooking. For juicier chicken, plate chicken, cover with foil and allow to rest 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Notes for better grilled chicken: don't flip chicken over and over again, it only needs to be flipped once, and if you like the cross marks as pictured you can flip it a second time during the last minute of cooking.
- For the mouth watering grill marks brush the grill with olive oil before cooking and then when flipping to opposite side, this also prevents sticking as well.
- Don't press down on chicken when grilling or poke continuously, this will release the juices and that delicious marinade.
- Don't overcook or chicken will be tough, for tender chicken cook until internal temperature registers at 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer. Don't lift grill lid more than necessary.