Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
This is my favorite Broccoli Cheese Soup! The best texture, the best flavor, a perfect consistency and lot so broccoli cheese flavor. This soup does not disappoint!
- 6 Tbsp butter, diced in cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 1/4 cups milk (anything but skim), then more to thin if desired
- 1 (14.5 oz can) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups finely chopped, fresh broccoli florets*
- 8 oz (2 cups) freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 oz (1/3 cup) freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium high heat.
Add in onions and cook, stirring frequently until soft, about 3 minutes.
Add in garlic and flour, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
While whisking, slowly pour in milk, chicken broth and broccoli.
Cook, stirring constantly until mixture begins to gently boil and thicken, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook, stirring very frequently, until broccoli is tender, about 5 - 7 minutes.
Stir in cream. Remove from heat, stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese, mixing until melted.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with more cheddar if desired.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
*From about 2 heads of broccoli, use floret portion only. I began with about 1 lb broccoli crowns, chopped off majority of the stems, then chopped the florets into very small pieces about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.