Light Fettuccine Alfredo
Now you can indulge in alfredo without all the guilt. This is still perfectly comforting, deliciously hearty and oh so creamy.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Calories: 370 kcal
- 8 oz . fettuccine pasta , uncooked
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt , or to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder , to taste
- 1 1/2 oz . freshly , finely shredded Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp slightly packed)
- 2 oz Neufchatel cheese (aka 1/3 less fat cream cheese), diced into cubes
- freshly ground white or black pepper , to taste
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish , optional
- finely shredded Romano cheese or more Parmesan for serving , optional (not added to calorie count)
Cook pasta according to directions listed on package. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Once fully melted mix in flour and cook, whisking constantly for 2 minutes. Gradually add in a little milk at time, whisking vigorously until smooth after each addition. Stir in cream, lemon juice, salt and garlic powder. While stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming, cook sauce until mixture thickens and begins to gently bubble.
Reduce heat to low, add in Parmesan cheese and Neufchatel cheese and stir until cheese has melted. Stir in a few tbsp pasta water to thin sauce if desired. Drain cooked pasta well (DO NOT rinse pasta with water or the pasta sauce wont stick) then pour drained pasta into sauce and toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately garnished with ground pepper, optional parsley and Romano cheese.