Mediterranean Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Mediterranean inspired sandwich made with two kinds of cheese, loaded with veggies and pan fried until perfectly golden brown on the outside and deliciously melty and gooey on the inside.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Calories: 642 kcal
- 2 slices rustic white bread or sourdough bread
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil , divided
- 2 oz . Wisconsin Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 1 oz . Wisconsin Feta cheese , crumbled
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4 Roma tomato slices
- 2 Tbsp diced black olives
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 tsp finely minced garlic (about 1/3 clove)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a non-stick 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add garlic and spinach and saute until spinach begins to wilt, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, stir in basil and set aside. To assemble sandwich, spread Mozzarella and Feta cheese over one slice of bread into an even layer. Layer tomatoes in a single layer over cheese. Spread spinach mixture over tomatoes then sprinkle olives and red onions over tomatoes. Season with freshly ground black pepper and top with remaining slice of bread.
Spread 1 tsp olive oil evenly over skillet, add sandwich and heat over medium-low heat. Cook until bottom is golden brown, about 3 - 4 minutes, then remove sandwich from pan. Spread remaining 1 tsp olive oil evenly along skillet, carefully rotate sandwich to opposite side and return to pan over medium-low heat. Cover skillet with lid and cook until bottom is golden brown, about 2 - 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy