Italian Beef Stew
A must try stew recipe! It's packed with pieces of tender beef and loaded with hearty veggies, plus you love the classic, comforting Italian flavors here.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours 55 minutes
- 3 stalks celery , chopped into 1/2-inch thick pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large yellow onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 5 Tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 1/2 lbs beef shoulder , chuck roast or rump roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp dried rosemary , crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 oz cremini mushroom , sliced (optional)
- 4 medium carrots , chopped into 1/2-inch thick pieces (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 lbs Russet potatoes , peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Parmesan or Romano cheese , for serving (optional)
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large enameled cast iron pot over medium-high heat. Once hot add celery and onion and saute 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Pour mixture into a heat proof bowl and set aside.
Place beef in a large resealable bag, add flour and season with salt and pepper (about 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper). Seal bag and toss well to evenly coat beef in flour. Return pot to medium-high heat, add remaining 3 Tbsp olive oil. Once oil is hot add half of the beef and cook tossing occasionally until beef has browned, about 4 - 5 minutes. Transfer browned beef to a plate then add another 1 Tbsp oil to pot and add remaining half of the beef and brown. Slowly add 1 cup broth and then add red wine vinegar and beef on plate and cook, stirring frequently while scraping bottom of pan to loosen browned bits on bottom, until sauce has thickened. Add remaining 3 cups beef broth, diced tomatoes, oregano, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, bay leaves, mushrooms and sauteed veggie mixture. Bring mixture just to a boil, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and carrots and cook about 1 1/2 longer until beef and veggies are very tender (I originally added the potatoes and carrots in at the beginning but decided they hold up better if added halfway through cooking).
Serve warm sprinkled with fresh basil and parsley and parmesan if desired.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy