Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Shells
Hearty stuffed shells made with three cheeses, spinach, herbs, and marinara. Pure comfort food that's sure to satisfy! It's a dinner everyone can agree on.
- 30 jumbo pasta shells, cooked according to directions listed on package
- 15 oz fresh spinach, steamed just until wilted, squeezed dry with paper towels and chopped*
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp chopped fresh oregano or thyme
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 3 cups (12 oz) mozzarella cheese, finely shredded, divided
- 1 cup (3.5 oz) parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
- red pepper flakes, optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, using a fork, blend together Ricotta cheese and egg. Stir in basil, thyme and garlic.
Add 2 cups mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and toss mixture to combine. Mix in prepared spinach. Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
Spread 1/3 cup marinara sauce into an even layer along bottom of a 13 by 9-inch baking dish (or similar size casserole dish). Divide cheese mixture among cooked pasta shells, stuffing each shell full with about 2 Tbsp cheese mixture.
Align shells in baking dish side by side, with the opening of shells facing upright.
Stir red pepper flakes to taste into marinara sauce if desired. Cover shells evenly with remaining marinara sauce then sprinkle tops evenly with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- *If you don't want to steam fresh spinach, you could also use frozen and thawed spinach, just dry it well by squeezing dry with several layers of paper towels.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy