Carne Asada Tacos
Carne asada is soaked in a super flavorful marinade then perfectly grilled, chopped and added to tortillas with all your favorite toppings.
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs flank or skirt steak
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (juice of about 2 - 3 limes)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from about 1 navel orange)
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 jalapeno , minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded Monterey Jack or crumbled Queso Fresco
- Pico de Gallo
- Sliced avocados
- Chopped cabbage or lettuce , optional
- Lime wedges , for juicing
- Hot sauce , optional
In a mixing bowl, stir together olive oil, lime juice, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, red onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, paprika and season mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Place flank steak in a baking dish and pour marinade over steak. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate in refrigerator 2 - 5 hours, rotating once halfway through marinating.
Brush a grill lightly with oil and heat grill to medium-high heat. Remove steak from refrigerator. Lift steak and allow excess marinade and bits to run off, season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to grill. Cook about 5 minutes per side, or until desired doneness (could be more or less depending on how thick your steak is and if you like it medium rare or more well done).
Transfer to a plate or clean baking dish, cover with foil and allow to rest 5 minutes. Cut into thin strips and serve over warm tortilla shells along with desired toppings. Serve immediately.
- Warm the tortillas on a dry skillet before assembling your tacos (they're less likely to break when warm).
- The toppings I've listed are all optional. Make your tacos however you'd like!
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy