Zucchini Carrot Bread
A soft and tender, perfectly spiced bread thats dotted with fresh carrots and zucchini which keep this summery bread moist. It's finished with a rich cream cheese frosting and crunchy pecans for added decadence.
Yield: 2 loaves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded , peeled carrots (from about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded zucchini (from about 2 small zucchini)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 5 oz cream cheese , softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
For the Bread:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour two 8 by 4-inch loaf pans and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg for 30 seconds. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and brown sugar until well blended, then add canola oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla and whisk until well combined, about 30 seconds - 1 minute. Stir in shredded carrots and zucchini, then add flour mixture all at once, and using a rubber spatula, fold mixture just until combined.
Divide mixture among two prepared loaf pans. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes then (without removing loaves from oven) quickly tent loaves with a sheet of aluminum foil (to prevent top from excessive browning) and continue to bake 15 - 20 minutes longer, or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool in loaf pan 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely. Frost with cream cheese frosting if desired and top with chopped pecans. Store in an airtight container.
For the Frosting:
In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer, whip together butter and cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- For extra texture and flavor, toast the pecans or walnuts before chopping them.
- Recipe Source: Cooking Classy