Ginger Chicken Stir-Fry with Asparagus
A simple chicken stir fry that's packed with protein, nutritious asparagus and made with a delicious sauce.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast , diced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 1/2 tsp canola oil , divided
- 1 lb asparagus , end portions trimmed and remainder diced into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion , sliced into thin strips
- 8 oz button mushrooms , sliced*
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes , then more for garnish if desired
- 1 Tbsp peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a 12-inch non-stick wok (or large and deep non-stick skillet), heat 1 1/2 tsp canola oil over moderately high heat. Once oil is hot, add diced chicken and season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté until cooked through, tossing occasionally, about 6 to 7 minutes. Pour chicken onto a large plate and set aside.
Return wok to burner, reduce to medium-high heat, add remaining 1 Tbsp canola oil. Once oil is hot, add asparagus, yellow onion and mushrooms, and red pepper flakes and sauté until tender-crisp, about 4 - 5 minutes, adding in garlic and ginger during the last 1 minute of sautéing. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl (or in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup) whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, honey and cornstarch until well blended.
Pour chicken broth mixture into skillet with veggies, season with salt and pepper to taste, and bring mixture to a light boil, stirring constantly. Allow mixture to gently boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 1/2 minutes. Toss chicken into mixture and serve warm over white or brown rice, sprinkled with additional red pepper flakes if desired (note that this is best served immediately as the liquids from the veggies will begin to break down and thin the sauce).
Recipe Source: Inspired by McCormick