Quinoa Black Bean Salad with Mango & Avocado
This is my favorite Quinoa Salad! Tender quinoa is tossed together black beans, lots of fresh veggies and it's all coated with a bright honey lime dressing. Everyone will love this!
If you plan on leftovers then add the avocado to individual portions so it doesn't brown.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium mango, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 medium avocado (semi-firm but ripe), cored and diced
Rinse quinoa well in a fine mesh strainer. Transfer to a medium saucepan along with chicken broth and 1/4 cup water and season lightly with salt to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer until water has been absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes. Let cool*.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil, lime juice, honey, cumin, ginger and cayenne pepper.
In a large bowl or salad bowl toss together quinoa, black beans, mango, bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, avocado and dressing.
Season with salt to taste and serve.
- *To quickly cool quinoa, transfer to a bowl and place in freezer and toss occasionally. It should be cool enough by the time you've chopped veggies and made the dressing. Left over quinoa would probably even work better as it will absorb better (it should measure 3 cups).
- Note that the salad should be eating within and hour or two for best results as the avocado will start to brown and juices from the veggies will break down.
- Make it vegan by using vegetable broth in place of chicken broth and maple syrup in place of honey.
- Recipe source: inspired by Our Best Bites