Summer Squash and Corn Chowder
The perfect summer soup! It's rich and creamy and brimming with fresh sweet corn and yellow squash. And when finished shredded cheddar and salty bacon you know it's got to be good!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Calories: 511 kcal
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled and 1 1/2 Tbsp rendered bacon fat reserved
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow squash, chopped (about 3 medium)
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced green onions, divided
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 3/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 5 cups fresh cut corn (from about 6 ears corn), divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 3/4 tsp salt, then more to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, then more to taste if desired
- 3/4 cup Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
Heat 4 tsp reserved bacon fat in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add celery and saute 2 minutes then add the squash and 3/4 cup of the green onions.
Saute until tender, about 6 minutes, adding in garlic and flour during last 2 minutes of sauteing. Reduce heat slightly.
Add 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 cups of the corn, thyme, salt and pepper to the sauteed veggies.
To a blender add remaining 3 cups of corn, remaining 1 1/4 cups milk and the cream. Process in blender until nearly smooth (about 30 seconds).
Add pureed mixture to pot and stir to blend. Cook until mixture reaches a light boil.
Serve warm with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon and remaining sliced green onions.
Recipe Source: inspired by Cooking Light