Creamy Chicken and Corn Chowder
This chowder will quickly become a go-to recipe! It's loaded with chicken, veggies and rich creamy broth. Delicious comfort food!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Calories: 497 kcal
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast , cooked and shredded (3 cups)
- 8 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled*
- 1/4 cup butter , diced into 1 Tbsp pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper , diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 - 2 jalapenos , seeded for less heat if desired, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium russet potatoes , peeled and diced slightly less than 1/2-inch thick (3 cups)
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- Green onions and seeded , finely chopped jalapenos (optional), for serving
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add red bell pepper, onions, jalapenos and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer. Stir in flour, and cook 2 minutes stirring constantly. While stirring, slowly add in chicken broth and whisk until well blended.
Add potatoes, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil stirring frequently, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, 10 minutes or just until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
Add in cooked chicken, corn and half and half and simmer, uncovered 10 - 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Serve warm topped bacon, green onions, and optional jalapeno peppers.
Recipe Source: adapted with some changes from BHG