Slow Cooker Enchilada Quinoa Bake
This easy and delicious slow cooker Enchilada quinoa bake is not only healthy but packed full of flavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 519 kcal
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar or monterey jack, or Mexican blend cheese
- Diced avocados , diced Roma tomatoes, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, chopped green onions (optional)
Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour mixture into a slow cooker.
Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin and season wtih salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and cook on HIGH heat about 2 hours 45 minutes - 3 hours 15 minutes (cook time can vary because all slow cookers cook a little differently so just keep an eye on it near the end to make sure it's neither getting soggy or drying out near the edges).
Add corn, black beans and pinto beans and toss mixture. Even top then sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until heated through and cheese has melted about 10 - 15 minutes longer. Serve warm with desired toppings.