Mandarin Orange Salad with Chicken and Lemon Ginger Dressing
A must try salad recipe! It's layered with tender spinach, protein rich chicken, colorful asian veggies, sweet mandarin oranges, crisp sliced almonds and deliciously seasoned wonton strips.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp peeled and grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp dijon mustard (Emeril's is the only way to go)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt , to taste
- 12 wonton wrappers , sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- Vegetable oil , for frying
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast , grilled and sliced
- 1 cup sliced almonds , toasted
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 2 cups snow peas , sliced into halves
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
- 1 red bell pepper , seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 (15 oz) cans mandarin oranges (no sugar added), drained well*
- 1/2 cup cilantro , stems removed
- Black and white sesame seeds , for garnish (optional)
For the dressing:
Add all ingredients to a blender and pulse until well emulsified and ginger and garlic are finely minced. Pour into an airtight container and all to rest in refrigerator while preparing salad (shake or stir before adding to salad).
For the wonton strips:
Heat about 3/4 to 1-inch of oil in a skillet to 360 degrees (maintain this temperature, reduce heat as needed). Add just enough wonton strips without overcrowding. Fry just until halfway cooked, then using metal tongs (grabbing as many as you can at once) rotate to opposite side and cook until just lightly golden. Remove and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Immediately sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and salt before they dry.
For the salad:
Add all salad ingredients to a large salad bowl and toss. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss. Top each serving with desired amount of wonton strips and optional sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
- *You can use fresh or canned mandarin oranges for this salad. If using canned, make sure you're using oranges packed in juice and drain them well.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy