Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
An incredibly delicious bacon and egg loaded spinach salad with a warm bacon dressing. The perfect savory side salad!
- 12 oz bacon , cooked (drippings and browned bits from pan reserved), crumbled, divided
- 5 large eggs , boiled, peeled and sliced
- 9 oz baby spinach
- 6 oz button mushrooms , sliced
- 1/2 small red onion , thinly sliced (run under cool water to remove harsh bite)
- 1 cup shredded or finely cubed swiss cheese
- 2 1/2 cups homemade or store bought croutons (optional)
- 3 Tbsp reserved bacon drippings with browned bits
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Make the dressing: In a skillet whisk together bacon drippings with browned bits, olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon and honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer over medium heat 1 minute. Stir in 2 slices crumbled bacon. Allow to cool slightly.
Assemble the salad: In a large salad bowl, toss together spinach, remaining bacon, mushrooms, red onion and swiss. Drizzle with warm dressing and toss. Add eggs and croutons to top and serve.
- Use bacon that isn't flavored for the best results. You just want a regular pork bacon for this recipe.
- Store the dressing and salad fixings separately in the fridge if you have leftovers. Otherwise the salad will wilt.
- Recipe source: inspired by Food Network