Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry
This Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry is packed with nutritious veggies and coated in a healthy stir-fry sauce. Bonus: it's ready in around 30 minutes!
- 1 lb chicken breasts , sliced into small strips
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets , chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 4)
- 1 red bell pepper , seeded and sliced into strips and strips halved (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
- 1 Tbsp peeled and finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas , sliced into halves
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
Place chicken in a gallon size resealable bag. In a 2 cup liquid measuring cup or a bowl, whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Immediately after whisking well, measure out 1/4 cup (before all the sesame oil just returns to the top). Pour the 1/4 cup over chicken in bag and let marinate in fridge 10 - 15 minutes (now is a good time to chop all the veggies). Whisk cornstarch and sugar into remaining soy sauce mixture.
Heat oil in a wok or a non-stick pot over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and add chicken to wok. Heat chicken until halfway cooked through, about 3 minutes, tossing occasionally. Add in broccoli, carrots, bell pepper, onion and ginger. Cook, tossing occasionally, 4 minutes. Add in snap peas, mushrooms and garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.
Whisk soy sauce mixture once more, then pour into pan and cook, tossing frequently, until sauce has thickened and veggies are tender, about 2 minutes.
Serve warm over white or brown rice (I served mine with short grain brown rice, not pictured here. It's my favorite).
- Make sure the sauce comes to a simmer after you add it to the chicken and vegetable stir-fry. If the sauce doesn't get hot enough, it won't thicken properly.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy